We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help needed with installing XP over Vista, thanks

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi,
I am installing XP and getting rid of Vista. I have all the xp drivers for my laptop saved on DVD. My questions are 1) Do I save them on a partition in Vista now before installing XP new disc? or 2) Leave them on DVD and install XP, then install the drivers from DVD? Bearing in mind that this is a full set of XP drivers for my laptop model and would include the chipset drivers.
THanks Help urgent as XP disc arriving tomorrow

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

option number 2.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Don't try just installing XP over Vista , remove it totally first , then run the XP install , Vista won't allow this type of " downgrade " .

Ashley

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

whether your laptop is new, and came with Vista preinstalled, or whether you upgraded an existing XP installation.

The fact that you have the XP drivers saved on a DVD leads me to think that you upgraded, in which case the procedure for reverting to XP is slightly different.

I suggest that you click here and follow the instructions you'll find.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Hi,
Thanks. It's a fairly new Acer 5920G came with Vista Premium preinstalled. Igot all the xp drivers for this specific model from the web. I am assuming that I can delete/format the partition (C) with Vista w/in XP as per normal. Any more info appreciated as I don't want to get into probs if at all poss.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If it still in warranty be aware of what I found on another forum, "hihi... sorry for replying late... Yup... managed to get my friend to downgrade it from Vista to XP on my 5920G... However, yesterday there was some problem over it... And when I bring to Acer, they pre-load back to Vista... =( Now I need help again in formating back to XP =Pls Can any 1 help me out? I thought of installing XP on my external HDD. Will it be possible? If can't then I will want to keep my Vista, + installing XP too. Which means creating a 2nd boot up. Any advise on going about it?"
That means that if you have a problem with the machine then Acer will put the drive back to Vista. Why not get a new hard drive to install XP to, and then you have your Vista drive ready to go back if there is a problem with XP on the machine. It will at least save the expense of a fresh Vista disk if you have wiped your recover partition and you can always put the drive in a caddy for back-ups later.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Hi canarieslover,
Thanks for your input. I am just not sure if a new H/D will work in a straghtforward way. Surely, it also depends on the M/B? Have you done it?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Yes I have put a new drive into a computer to do it, but not in that particular model, but you should be able to get a compatible hard drive easily enough. You can't downgrade from Vista without wiping the drive anyway so starting with a new drive will leave you with a fall-back to Vista without any great loss in computing time. My major concern would be that XP should be able to see the SATA hard drive, which it should if it is an install disk with sp2 or sp3.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Hi,
that's good to know. my exact worry was that xp would not see the drive which was why I got all the drivers b4 hand. That's the route I'll try 1st now. If not I have several other options including streaming and making an XP bootable CD.
thansk
again. will post back for others in the same predicament when all has come to past.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

sorted. all went well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...