We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sp1 wont install

1973scotty

Likes # 0

hi can anyone help sp1 wont install, it gose threw all the the motions. it gets to the end & says cant install sp1 reverting to prv settings.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

The first thing I would check is the hardware drivers, make sure ALL your hardware drivers are up to date, even obscure ones. As far as I'm aware SP1 won't even be offered through Windows Update if your system doesn't have all the required hardware drivers, if you downloaded the standalone version of SP1 rather than through Windows Update then hardware drivers could be your problem, as far as I know the standalone version doesn't check for drivers.

Like this post
1973scotty

Likes # 0

where can you get the stand alone pack

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

The last thing you need is the standalone pack. If the windows update pack doesn't work you'll have all sorts of problems if you try using the standalone version.

What gazzaho means is that the windows update pack is tailored specifically for the drivers etc on your PC whereas the standalone pack is not driver specific and is an attempt, with an extremely large file, to fit any PC.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I found this article with google. Read through it, it suggests running Check Disk and System File Checker before running the update click here

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

I found another article that may help click here sorry that's the best I can do.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

So did you get it to install OK - I notice you have marked it as resolved

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia