We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fast shutdown

Gusto

Likes # 0

I installed an "instant shutdown" icon on my Vista PC. ie - right click desk-top/new shortcut/enter %windir%System 32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00.
This worked fine. However, when I tried to do the same on my friend's PC, I was met by
"Can't find %windir%System 32\shutdown.exe". The two PCs are identical and both bought 3 months ago.
What puzzles me is, as Vista has an automatic file checker, how can it "lose" a file that exists on an identical machine? Any ideas how I can replace the missing file?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

1. In your post you have a \ missing before System32.

2. Have a look in \Windows\System32 and check if the program shutdown.exe is present. If it is missing, there is another copy buried deep in \Windows\winsxs. Search for it and copy it to \System32

Like this post
Gusto

Likes # 0

Many thanks BurrWalnut. I did indeed forget the first \ when I entered the file in my friends PC. Problem solved. I was intrigued by your reference to \Windows\winsyx. Although an avid reader of PC Advisor I had not met this extremely useful tip. Out of interest I tried a search for shutdown.exe (advanced, including hidden files) but failed. A manual search also failed. Perhaps an entry in PC Advisor would be generally wecome.
Thanks again
Gusto

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

The 32-bit version of shutdown.exe is in \winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-shutdown-event-tracker-..........

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia