We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

webcams never worked in Vista Premium, why?

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi,
I have 2 laptops, an Acer 5920G and a Medion Koya both with Vista Premium and SP1. Both the built-in webcams do not work in Windows Live Messenger. Keeps saying "your camera is in use by another device". I know it isn't, so whats wrong. Got the latest updates in both lappies. Can anyone help or shed some light on this prob. It's never worked since I bought the Lappiesa month ago.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Have you tried an external camera via the usb port.another one is to uninstall all usb stuff in device manager restart pc and see if it sees the device,i`ve just moved over to Vista and had no end of stress (two weeks) installing hp5150 printer and epson 1670 scanner even with the correct drivers.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

How did I guess it would be an Acer,
click here

click here

You may find something here. I had problems with my Aspire running the free Vista upgrade... found some applications that did eventually work from Acer.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Just tried the links.. they work OK but give a script error you can't exit from.
Well worth reading though. If you can't exit just do this,

To exit press CTR SHIFT and ESC together to open task manager. Select processes at the top and click IEexplorer.exe to highlight it, then click end process at the bottom.
Don't know why it's doing that on those links ?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Very strange, works OK from google, just as links that they won't let you exit.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

hi guys, thanks for the replies. my built-in cam is a Crystal Eye so the aboce links do not apply. Continuing my serach for a solution.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback