We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gone back to xp

jimv7

Likes # 0

Having had a bad experience with 64 bit vista, I have now found out that the same flaw is present in win 7 64 bit.

The problem is that after a restart 1 or more drives will be reset to 'read only', the pain of it is the only way I can remove the 'read only' attribute is by formatting the drive and resetting the permissions. Which is painful due to the time involved, having to copy files to another drive then back again after the format.

click here does not work as its the actual drive that has the 'read only' not the files, plus there are no options to delete or change files only copy.

So until this matter has been cured its back to 32 bit xp for now.

By the way, this only happens with 64 vista and win 7 not the 32 bit versions.

Like this post
Tech Guy

Likes # 0

I installed win 7 64 bit and had no drive probs.

However, I have gone back to Vista 64 as there were programs that didn't run that I needed to use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014