We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

regcure popup window

a member

Likes # 0

My sister called me yesterday , she has just got her new computer and after about a week ,she has got an annoying regcure popup window every time she tries to access her email , it wont let her into her email account , it demands to either be run or saved , she has tried saving it and cancelling it but the pop ups wont stop . she has never asked for regcure and its not installed .
I have read on several sites that regcure is a rogue program posing as a registry cleaner that gives spurious and unreliable results , yet others hail it as the best .
we just dont want this and its annoying if regcure is a legitimate program to be pestered in this way .
any ideas anyone.
I think he said the file name was regcure-rw.exe.

Like this post
User-FC0CC263-E51A-431F-9CA459FC39B4E4E9

Likes # 0

try downloading,updating and running a squared free click here

Like this post
skidzy

Likes # 0

Look in uninstall a program and uninstall Regcure and run ccleaner click here and reboot the computer.

If no joy,post back the location regcure-rw.exe is installed to.

Just type this into Vista start search ,this will tell its location.

If its in the c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder this is probably Malware.

Also run Malwarebytes updated in safemode.click here

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

a search of the entire drive shows nothing to do with regcure , it is not in the uninstall programs list as it has never been installed ,in fact until yesterday she had never heard of it .
she opened her email program , but instead a window opened saying that she should install regcure ,and that it had found several faults that only regcure could fix.
there were 3 options , run (no brainer) save or cancel . we tried saving the file ,but the pop up still comes up instead of outlook express .
cancelling does nothing.
I have cleared out internet files ,cleared all the temp folders I can find , and checked start up folders , including hidden files .also checked start tab via msconfig .there is no trace of this pop up or file name anywhere .
A Squared did not find anything but did select several system files for me to delete.
looks like a browse in the registry is called for.

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Get Process Explorer, drag the target/gunsight icon onto any open Regcure window, it will highlight the associated process and where it's located in the filesystem. click here

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

I think (hope its sorted , I right clicked the email icon on the desktop, properties showed a http address , I deleted the email icon (shortcut).
and created a new one from the winmail .exe in the program files folder . no reoccurance .copying the http address into internet explorer address bar brought up the horrid window again without opening any web pages .
hopefully it is gone for good .

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

brundle , that process explorer looks good will have a look at that anyway ,
thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more