We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Processor 100% used

jaimie

Likes # 0

I have two identical Acer aspire desktop machines runing Vista HP. one of them is running very slowly and the performance monitor tells me the processor is in use 100% of the time even when it's idling. The machine always hangs at shutown with the "windows is shutting down" screen and has to have a hard boot to switch it of and on again. I have switched off many of the resource-hungry resources as advised in the magazine and still it runs slow. It starts out OK after a restart but slows down as soon as it's used. Anyone any ideas about how to fix this please

Regards

James

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

have you tried defrag, disk clean up, chkdsk and an antispyware scan?

Like this post
jaimie

Likes # 0

Hi sunnystaines, yes defrag says it does not need it, used disk cleanup, spybot reveals no threats.So I'm still struggling with it, I have just turned on all of the services I turned off about ten days ago when the trouble seemed to start so I will see how that goes

Thanks

Regards

James

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Services have little impact on CPU use in general.
Open Task Manager..which process is using the highest percentage of CPU time?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

try here

click here

very reliable info

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Disabling services before you identify the source of the problem is not a great idea. Services will show up as svchost.exe under Task Manager, with no clue as to which service has been started by that particular instance of svchost. If it does turn out to be a service, it's best to track down which one, and why it's misbehaving.

Like this post
jaimie

Likes # 0

Thanks to brundle and sunnystaines,I,m taking your advice and slowly working through the possibilities, will report back

Regards

James

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Download this and run it.

click here

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Have you got Nero Installed and is it up to date?

My Vista Machine had similar Symptoms.

Like this post
jaimie

Likes # 0

Hi peter99co, no we don't have nero on either machine but interestingly i have un-done all the changes I made to this machine a couple of weeks ago and it is much improved. This means that of the two identical machines one has all the changes I made to services and indexing etc with no detriment to performance (and no discerable improvement either) and the other one suffered a dreadful drop in performance when I made the same changes and now it's back to normal when I have un-done the changes. Just goes to show, no two comps are the same.

Regards

James

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

It does sound like an indexing operation was in process.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow