We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

system restore,help please.

misty72

Likes # 0

My sons laptop has crashed so i tried doing a system restore but it tells me no restore points have been created to open system protection to create one.

When i do this i dont see were i can create a restore point!

Any advice.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Right-click on "Computer", choose Properties, click "System Protection", then tick the drive you want to create a Restore Point for, then click the "Create" button. click here

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

You cannot do a restore if no points have been made. You can only do one now to help with future problems

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

As Kevscar has said, if it's been turned off then System Restore won't be any help with your current problem.

Try using Last Known Good Configuration.

click here

Like this post
misty72

Likes # 0

ok thanks.
Didnt know you had to create youre own restore points, didnt have to do that with xp.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

misty72

Wrong,Vista has an improved restore point system, But if you wish to make a restore point you have to make one, just like XP.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Vista automatically makes a restore point when you install software and updates provided that System Restore is enabled. You can also manually create points at any time. If System Restore has been disabled, either intentionally or by a virus or malware, then you end up not having any restore points to select. I have just checked my System Restore and have eleven points during the last eight days. I know that information does you no good at this time but when you clean the machine of it's nasties then you know that, provided you enable it, System Restore will be doing it's job.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Teaboy - surely you can set the Task Scheduler to create a System Checkpoint at automatic intervals.

I suspect that's how misty72's XP was doing it.

Like this post
misty72

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your advice,

Think i will need to take the laptop in to be sorted, its way beyond me this one.

Oh and teaboy, wrong, i never had to make a restore point with xp, i could always just restore it when needed.
Probably as pineman100 said.

Like this post
Teaboy

Likes # 0

pineman100

I didn't know that. Thaks for the imfo, and I will check it out. One learns something new all the time.

misty72

I withdraw my comments, with apololgies.

Like this post
pcrec

Likes # 0

ALL operating system make restore point itself when we appear a new program that is according to operating system parameter and you can also create it.

but if we are facing any problem like you are facing now at that time we can not create any restore point in pc.

some software that can restore system while system has fully destroy but these all software are paid.

happy computing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers