We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Testing my PC for Windows 7

chieke

Likes # 0

I have downloaded the software for assesing the performance of my PC . i am sorry to say I am so ignorant of the details that I am at a loss.The down loaded results does not show if my pc Windows xp home edition is adequate for the windows 7.Any help would be appreciated.
geoff

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

that the minimum hardware specification for Windows 7 to run is as follows:-

•1GHz processor
•1GB of main memory
•16GB of available disk space
•Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
•A DVD-R/W drive

My own view is that this should be regarded as an absolute minimum, and if you want the operating system to run at all well you should have a faster processor and at least 2GB of RAM onboard.

Like this post
dth

Likes # 0

I was quite impressed with the way win 7 runs on my laptop (that came with vista). It only has 1 gb of ram (including shard graphics)and runs very well (much better than when it had vista on it).

Maybe - just maybe - the mini specks are getting nearer to a realistic spec!

Like this post
Szymanski99

Likes # 0

OK, so I too have run your widget to see if my system would support Windows 7 (currently on XP). It says my processor is not sufficiently powerful. You quote the min. spec. as a 1GHZ processor and 1GB of RAM.
I have a 3GHZ Pentium 4 with 3GB of RAM, which according to previous testers would run Vista except for my graphics, which only has 128MB, which you reckon is OK for 7. So in what respect is my system not powerful enough?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Can't get this to run at all

Is it liable to firewall blocking or security settings?

Like this post
daveella123

Likes # 0

It says my processor isnt powerful enough but its a pentium D 2.8GHZ. Don't understand!

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

Windows 7 runs fine on my old Laptop although using Aero is not an option.

Mobile Sempron 3100+ (1.8GHz)
768MB DDR 400 (64MB shared)
Unichrome Pro graphics (useless for Vista/Win7).

If I can get it to run on the above specs a Pentium 4/D should run it fine, although if you haven't got a DX9 graphics card you won't get Aero.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...