We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

shared file needs permission

sheila.weston

Likes # 0

I am trying to tidy up my shared documents folder but am told that I 'need permission' to move a file into another folder. There is a similar problem at click here and it was resolved by giving the files passwords. Isn't there *any* way that I can resolve this problem without resorting to passwords?

I find that I can move the file in the main XP machine, but it doesn't show in the vista laptop, which is odd.

Thanks for any help.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

You could take ‘ownership’:
Right-click the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on sub containers…’ and Apply > OK. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message. Make a note of the previous owner in case you want to change it back.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Many thanks.

I have got up to the owner tab>edit and am not sure what to do then. The box says 'change owner to Sheila-laptop' which I *could* elect, but I really want something like 'all users'. I have tried SHEILA-LAPTOP (as it already has SHEILA-DESKTOP and IE froze. Selecting 'locations' brought up SHEILA-DESKTOP' and 'Check names' brought up nothing.

I then tried again and got to the permissions page, but don't know what to put. Is there any way of browsing to the location so that I know what user or group to add?

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Type Everyone.

Like this post
sheila.weston

Likes # 0

Sorry for delay in reply - I got side-tracked. Yes, that works!. Very many thanks.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

I'm glad it worked, thank you for posting back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks