We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anyone having trouble with nvidia drivers

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

version 181.20, 181.22, & the latest this week 182.06

The last three drivers 32bit vista have all failed to load correctly.

Anyone else having this, I presume with these drivers being quickly release after each other something is no right.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

Sounds like the card may be faulty, I would double click on the entry in device manager and try the check for solutions button, it's worth a try. I would also do a google search for the message and code that appears to see if something shows up.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

unless you're running gtx 200 series or sli i would stay with the 179.... drivers. re-installation of the 180... drivers can cause the physx components to appear in strange places, documents etc these appear as folders usually with a long number as the name and can be deleted with ccleaner etc, the problem is (as i understand it) is the folder is tagged as an msi stage so when the driver package is un-installed it doesnt un-install cleanly.
in turn when you re- install it sends components to the wrong folder, i saw a similar problem with n-force motherboard driver. this is a major problem with the installer on vista and causes problems with drivers and security packages.
un-install using n-vidia (windows) read any error messages in event viewer and trace there problem. clean registry manually in hklm and hkcu entries. delete nvidia folder for display if you use nvidia chipset. reboot cancel any installing ... message, un-install delete driver for vga in device manager, re- boot let vista install standard vga driver only, download and install new driver (without the un needed bloat) click here
good luck.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i had enough of nvidia we try again in a few days need a break from trying to sort it.

Like this post
gazzaho

Likes # 0

adman 2
I read what you said about PhysX and was wondering if Revo Uninstaller might be a better solution to uninstalling the drivers as the PhysX component is listed separately and can be removed independently from the drivers. With both components removed separately and any registry/folders deleted by the program and rebooted to default windows drivers perhaps they may install correctly.

sunnystaines
If you try to uninstall using Revo click here then don't reboot when it asks you to, click no and continue through the Revo process as it will check for registry entries and ask to remove them and any folders it finds. Do this for Physx as well before rebooting, this should get rid of any trace of the drivers and reboot with Windows default drivers. I've found through using Revo that NVIDIA drivers don't leave registry entries behind but it might be better to use CCleaner and it's registry cleaner to check for any NVIDIA related entries after booting with default windows drivers.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks will try all this.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

update got nowhere and will keep older driver for now thanks for all the advice.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

nvidia released yet another driver today the 3rd in a short period.

but still the same problem, cannot even rollback now as that get the same fault too, now awaiting system restore to finish hoping than gets me back.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

system restore taken me back to nvidia driver 178 now working ok.

Like this post
Bob The Blob

Likes # 0

Have you uninstalled everything Nvidia? Including PhysX.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

cannot find PhysX on the pc it does not show up in programs,search,explorer, or registry.
the card is a gigabyte gs7600 uk driver from nvidia site.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...