We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to "activate" Vista

palinka

Likes # 0

Suddenly , after 13 months of use, I'm asked to activate Vista. Meanwhile my blue desktop has tuurned black, though all the icons are there and all is working normally.
I clicked the click her to activate and immediately receive message that "the activation key you typed is not valid" - but I haven't typed anything!!
The options are to "purchase another key" (Like heck!!)or to type a different key. Decided that choosing that second and typing in the product key from my label might cause further problems I went to the microsoft site. INstructions there are equally confusing - "Click Start >collapse/expand this image (the circular MS loco) but that doesn't appear when I click Start; >click Computer >click system properties in the toolbar" - but system properties is nowhere to be seen.
Help!!! Can someone please tell me exactly what to do

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

some slight progress but I still can't do thye activtion.
I did a system restore to yesterday. Desktop then opened normally
Can’t recall all the steps but eventually I installed Active-X and Office Genuine Advantage which were apparently essential .
Then arrived at a new window where I clicked Validate now and received mesage "Validation service is unable to determine whether this copy of Vista is genuine." and telling me to try again later. D4sktop backgroundturned black again.
My copy is genuine (bought with a new Dell machine from Dell 13 months ago).
I believe it's possible to do validation by phone. Anyone know the number to phone?

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

In the end having tried Microsoft who said go to Dell as it's OEM; then Dell said as it's out of warranty you have to use our paid for support service (£19 a throw by phone); I went back to the original "Click here to activate" and clicked on "type a different key", where I entered the key from my OEM sticker and whoopee, it's activated. Only 2 hours of my time spent on this useless exercise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more