We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 problem,AAGH!!!!!!

jpieter

Likes # 0

I have an acer aspire m3641 and this morning i ran an optional update for my Graphics card (ge force 7100) via windows update and now i cannot get any picture at all. I can get into safe mode no problem at all and i have the downloaded windows 7 disc but i can not find how to get into the bios ,i thought it was F8 on startup but that doesnt work ,does anyone know where the BIOS is ?
Can the windows 7 disc be used to repair windows when i have changed to boot up from disc? Anyone else had this problem.

Like this post
jpieter

Likes # 0

I know that Windows 7 is a beta version but I need a machine that works !!!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

The Windows 7 drivers are pre-release (BETA( just like 7 itself.

I have version 1 pre release sli drivers on my test machine, and they are by no means fully functional yet. Remember, that's all part of the testing process.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

i think that you need the graphics drivers to go above 1280. but that means getting nvidia drivers which will probably end up going back to your original problem

Like this post
jpieter

Likes # 0

I got it working again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to CROSSTRAINER i got rid off the NVIDIA drivers that were installed,went to their website and downloaded the drivers,BUT they didnt work ,just went back to the same problem again. So went into safe mode again and deleted NVIDIA drivers that their site downloaded ,then rebooted,worked then. BUT screen resolution is now a maximum of 1280 x ? instead of the original 1600 x ?,drivers for the GEFORCE 7100 were reinstalled by the computer but still has the lower screen resolution.
Got so fed up with it i have now left it and will try it again tomorrow. Any ideas on how to increase the resolution again?

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Never EVER let windows grab any driver updates at all, they are always out of date and never seem to match the filesize of the proper venodrs update.

In Vista and in W7 you can do this:

Windows Update device driver searching and prompts can be limited from the Control Panel. Just make your way via Start, Control Panel, System Maintenance, System, Advanced system settings, select the Hardware tab and then Windows Update Driver Settings. Here you can opt for one out of three options:

Check for drivers automatically.
Ask me each time I connect a new device before checking for drivers.
Never check for drivers when I connect a device.

Click bottom one, this will stop it searching for device drivers.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Go into safe mode

Control panel

Add remove programs (XP)

Programs and features (Vista)

Remove the Nvidia driver

Re-boot as normal (you should now have a basic image on the screen

Download and install the appropriate driver from:

click here

DO NOT allow windows to re-install the old one.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Its F2.

Are you in W7 or are you in XP/Vista? I think you can repair W7 from the disc it is an option I recall from the install screen.

Can you not go into Device Manager and roll back the driver to the previous version?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK