We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Utilities That Work

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

With 7. I will add to this as I find / try them, so far:

Ccleaner (works fine, no issues)

JK Defrag (as above) Since the built in defrag in 7 is just as bad as the one in Vista (I've asked about this so will let everyone know what they have to say) I think they may have given up since so many third party defrag programmes are better and faster.

AVG8 free version is fine

Superantispyware is fine

Will add as I go.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

CDburnerXP
Avira Anti vir
Auslogics disk dfrag
open office 3.0

all working with no issues

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

Have been looking at what seems to me to be a novel Firewall solution. Vista Firewall Control is a small application which integrates with the Windows 7 firewall to give control over outbound traffic without having to configure that part of the Windows firewall. It seems to work quite well and is very simple to use. It detects any software attempting outbound traffic and presents four options. Allow once. Allways allow . Deny once. Allways deny. And it's free.
click here

I use Outpost with XP but they don't have a version ready for the beta - yet.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

In your other thread you say don't use Superantispyware. click here

Have you found a fix?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Not on my AMD test machine, although others have had more luck by disabling it in msconfig (after the BSOD) and then running it. Didn't work for me though.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Doom3 (with the last patch (all the Doom games run in SLI with the BETA driver from Nvidia)

Adaware AE

Cant get Nero to work, but as mentioned above, god old XP burner pro works fine:

click here

All features work correctly, including ISO file burning.

Like this post
harold s

Likes # 0

Have loaded Nero, plus a number of old programs for my 8 year old still camara and vidio camara all using compatability mode. have noticed a slow down with all the extra loaded.still beter than XP Pro

Like this post
FreeCell

Likes # 0

Nero Essentials v7.0 loads(but if you allow it to update then it removes the old version and doesn't install the update!) Not tried burning a disc yet though.
LightScribe function with Nero didn't install but LightScribe software based on HP did.

Audacity

CoffeCup Free FTP v4.0

SyncBack SE

Avery Design Pro Lite V5.0

Whisper 32 (surprising as this little password wallet application was written for Win 95!)

Also tried MS Money 2000 and MS Frontpage 2000 and both seem to work fine.

So far only had problems with a webcam and with a networked all-in-one from HP. Printer installs fine but Vista driver/software doesn't work so still trying to sort out scanning functions. May be simpler if it was USB connected but, hey, where is the challenge in that!

Like this post
iambeavis

Likes # 0

Macrium reflect - click here - is disk imaging software similar to Acronis TI and the free version works with Windows 7. Being free, it's slightly less well featured than the commercial version, but it fulfills it's main function very well and, being free, it's a bit of a bargain.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Here is what I have installed with no problems.
Avast
MS Money 2002
Acronis
SpywareBlaster
MalwareBytes Pro
RoboForm
WinPatrol

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Are you going to install RC1 or wait for the official release?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data