We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First Impressions

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Default desktop wallpaper in the Ultimate version is a Betta fish! (Siamese Fighter) Weird things:

The very old Dlink wireless card in the machine which would not work in Vista, works in 7 but the sound which did work in Vista won't!

Dual boot works fine, and not sure about sli yet, any ideas on a free antivirus AVG work ok?

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

I stand corrected and regret my unjustified snipe at MS. For "the older operating system" please insert "previous operating system".
Using it more and more and getting to like it better. Only driver problem is my ScanJet 4470c.
I mentioned I think it's faster but then it would be as a virgin install with hardly any programs added yet.

Like this post
wotbus@

Likes # 0

I have it on another HDD in my usual rig, with XP Home on C.
It seems a little bit faster, IE8 a bit better, it looks nicer. The big question for me is will it be £1** nicer - I don't think so.
There will have to be a huge "W7 does this where XP doesn't" for me to even think about it.
I must admit I rather like it. Just wish MS wouldn't put me down by asking me to choose Windows7 or "the older operating system" when I boot up! What's wrong with "Windows7 or Windows XP"?
Gentle psychological persuation perhaps ;-)
I have worked on a few friends computers with various editions of Vista, and in my opinion this W7 is streets ahead.
Keep on testing...

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

Really liking W7 so far, a pleasant surprise, I'm using Vista Ultimate and HP on different work/personal machines at the moment and have never really warmed to it at all.

Install on an empty drive took a while longer than I expected having seen claims of 20-30 minutes, but it recognized all my hardware apart from a USB TV Tuner with no intervention.

I do have numerous "assertion" errors in IE ( click here ) - using Firefox seems to stop that.
I've looked into the slow-install and assertion failures issue and there is the possibility I have a corrupted download, but I'm not downloading the whole lot again now. ( click here )

Thumbs up so far.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

You seem to be having more hardware problems than I have up to now. As I posted at the start of the thread, even a discontinued wireless card that I was sure I would need to replace works in 7, USB sticks, camera's all work fine.

The SLI drivers from Nvidia are also BETA version 1.0 but have loaded Doom and a couple of other games, and they run fine.

Must remember it is a BETA though, and there will be glitches. My AC97 sound application won't work, although the sound driver does (legacy though) Same problem with this older sound chip in Vista at the start, and the test machine will be completely re-built with the latest Quad core CPU and probably 2x 280 graphics cards before I buy 7 anyway. It currently dual boots with XP Pro, but that licence will die when I buy 7.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I must stop switching to 7 in the early hours,then I might actually remember what I was doing.(Desktop on Vista,Laptop on 7)It was the desktop I loaded IE8,and it was THIS install that crashed repeatedly,locked up or threw up a "not responding" error. :)

I tried load a game in 7 & found that "gameguard" refused to load and the game doesnt run.My bluetooth adapter wont load in 7.I cant get WLM to sit in the systray,it resides in a minimised state on the taskbar & only allows me to drag it across the taskbar & when I let go it returns to the left.I'll be trying to load a USB TV adapter later(if the GF lets me get on my lappy)and try a few other hardware items while I'm at it.Will post results early tomorrow.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Microsoft have extended the time to download a copy until 10th February. click here

Like this post
The Brigadier

Likes # 0

It's all hype when a new MS O/S comes out & enough written about it.
May try it but still need to understand Vista first!

Like this post
The Brigadier

Likes # 0

It's all hype when a new MS O/S comes out & enough written about it.
May try it but still need to understand Vista first!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Anyone else having the odd freeze in IE8? No big dramas, and the "Restore your last session" function is useful, but I think there are a few bugs here.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Exactly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad