We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First Impressions

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Default desktop wallpaper in the Ultimate version is a Betta fish! (Siamese Fighter) Weird things:

The very old Dlink wireless card in the machine which would not work in Vista, works in 7 but the sound which did work in Vista won't!

Dual boot works fine, and not sure about sli yet, any ideas on a free antivirus AVG work ok?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

I'm the same age group as yourself, but spent (some might say mis-spent) nearly 30 years in the IT industry. DOS (you should give it a try on an old machine) is pure command prompt.

When you booted your machine (Back in the day's of the 286 cpu) you were faced with a black screen and a flashing c: prompt. Getting the machine to do anything involves typing in commands at the prompt. Windows was first built on top of DOS and XP was the first Windows version to do away with it (although it emulates it, it does not rely on it.

I used to teach DOS and each student was presented with a 30 list of most popularly used commands:

MD (make Directory)
RD (Remove directory)

DELTREE (Delete tree)

Etc. etc...

Ah the good old day's...Wonder if you can still download a copy?

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

I am very impressed - and I am most certainly a Vista-sceptic. First impressions are important so the fast boot time and general responsiveness on both my pc's made me want to see more. I read an article recently saying that scaling had once again been improved and this indeed appears to be the case, with good results at custom dpi settings - I think this will become important when we all start to buy 23" screens running at 1920 x 1080!
In fact - it is a shame that I have to wait until at least autumn before I can replace XP. I get the impression that some of you are using the beta on a daily basis? I wish I could take that step but I don't think I can - I am too prone to "meddling".
For example - Changing the system chosen page file size locked up my pc, leading to a forced reboot. It was not until I had tried, and failed, to complete a defrag with 3 different programmes that I realised that the crash and forced shutdown had created a bad sector on my hard drive. Soon sorted of course but time consuming.
Generally, this release is so good it is easy to forget it is a beta, but beta it is.

Like this post
pcmags

Likes # 0

Most Microsoft Operating Systems start with a fanfare of how good it's going to be & how much better than the last one. The flaws are found it it, patch's released & then a service pack or 2 is rushed out to stop the flaws/possible hacker!

XP is the most widely used O/S and is just about the most stable!!

Like this post
pcmags

Likes # 0

Most Microsoft Operating Systems start with a fanfare of how good it's going to be & how much better than the last one. The flaws are found it it, patch's released & then a service pack or 2 is rushed out to stop the flaws/possible hacker!

XP is the most widely used O/S and is just about the most stable!!

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Not the question I asked, so I assume you views are based on.....well nothing.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

What anskyber means is (I think) how can you pass comment on something you have not tried? Reminds me of the old Guiness ad....I don't like it cause I have not tried it.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Exactly.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Anyone else having the odd freeze in IE8? No big dramas, and the "Restore your last session" function is useful, but I think there are a few bugs here.

Like this post
The Brigadier

Likes # 0

It's all hype when a new MS O/S comes out & enough written about it.
May try it but still need to understand Vista first!

Like this post
The Brigadier

Likes # 0

It's all hype when a new MS O/S comes out & enough written about it.
May try it but still need to understand Vista first!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen