We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First Impressions

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Default desktop wallpaper in the Ultimate version is a Betta fish! (Siamese Fighter) Weird things:

The very old Dlink wireless card in the machine which would not work in Vista, works in 7 but the sound which did work in Vista won't!

Dual boot works fine, and not sure about sli yet, any ideas on a free antivirus AVG work ok?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

What are your opinions of this? Easy to configure, but not sure I like the layout much. Probably get used to it over time. Not having to type in POP and SMTP settings (At least I didn't) makes this fool-proof to set up for any novice. All they need is their email address and of you go, but as I said, not sure I like the layout.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Its configurable. eg I have pulled the line between the message list pane and the pane with Inbox and so on across to the left so it only shows files in a thin column.

I have done this because it gives more space to the open message which I have to the right rather than below. I have mail open all the time on my second screen with the gadgets I use like clock calendar etc using the remaining space.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

As I have indicated in another thread the only persistant problem I have and yet to solve in Win 7 is with the sound. I am getting sound but cannot control it using the volume button on my laptop. I can control sound within games and apps like WMP but only using the sound controls within these apps. Anyone found a similar problem

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

Sound problems seem to be order of the day for most people (CMSS doesn't work on my X-Fi yet).

Started installing a few games to see how they compare to Vista, and the results are promising.

Most run fine although a couple (Fallout 3 and STALKER: Clear Sky) have crashed, but they seem to work fine now. Crysis Warhead runs perfectly as does Oblivion.

Office XP, AutoCAD 2007 and Media Player classic all work fine.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Is a plus, although I'm not sure that it won't re-appear at some point in the testing process.

I hate it in Vista, but in 7 you can place your gadgets where you like.....Don't really use them myself, but the fancy chronograph watch is quite nice as a gimmick.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I agree.

No the sidebar is gone for good. I like the way just hovering on the small "pane" at the far right end of the taskbar makes the windows transparent to see the desktop and therefore the gadgets if you have them there.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

If I hover there, it minimises whatever is open! Odd :))

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Ah...I see now, it minimises if you are in full screen (as I was) and makes transparent if in a smaller window.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Have you tried shaking a window by the top to minimise other open windows? Repeat to restore.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Nice gimmick, but useful? Not really :)) What's wrong with the minimise button (Luddite speaks out!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...