We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First Impressions

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Default desktop wallpaper in the Ultimate version is a Betta fish! (Siamese Fighter) Weird things:

The very old Dlink wireless card in the machine which would not work in Vista, works in 7 but the sound which did work in Vista won't!

Dual boot works fine, and not sure about sli yet, any ideas on a free antivirus AVG work ok?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

1) Boots very quickly

2) Like the way you can switch open tabs by hovering he mouse.

3) IE8 painfully slow on some sites.

4) Driver support appears to better than that for Vista (work that one out!)

5) About to tackle SLI (should be fun!)

Then I will try a game.

Oh, and I'd better provide my first impressions feedback to the folks in Redmond I guess.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Restored, and BETA SLI driver seems to work as well, installed AVG 8 Free for now, seems to work ok. Not sure About IE 8, would use Firefox, but the BETA release notes insist on IE8 for testing purposes.

It's pretty fast on this machine, but the performance index is all over the place: CPU gets a measly 4.7, gaming graphics get 7 HDD gets 5.3 (not sure these are all that accurate as yet, because it's as least as fast as XP pro. Boot-up as promised is MUCH quicker than Vista so they seem to have got that one right, the bewildering amount of stuff in control panel regarding touch screens etc/ gives an indication of where they are planning to go with the O/S when it's released (personally I hate touch screens...grubby finger marks and constant cleaning) but on the whole seems to work pretty well for a BETA copy. Installation was very fast, updates also. Will plough on!

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

should give a rough indication of what is and isn't working on the AV front

click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

works perfectly in Windows 7.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

particularly the link I provided click here

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

That explains why I get a 7.9 for graphics, and a low cpu score (just a dual core in the machine)

Older RAM as well, but having said that I stuck DOOM3 on it last night and that runs fine with the 1.1 wdm sli drivers (BETA also)

I think my quad core would achieve much higher scores, but I'm not putting on my everyday machine :))

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Just tried to install IE8 beta on Win 7 & got a message that IE8 isnt compatable with Win 7.I'll have another look on MS downloads site for a client of IE8 for Win 7 as I wasnt offered any versions but XP/Vista.

Took some hunting for HP drivers but found them & my Win 7 runs perfectly with no (!) in device manager.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

IE8 beta is the default browser already part of your download, check abut to confirm.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

about

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

..Is required and included in the ISO installation file. If you are not using it, something has gone awry with the installation process.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten