We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Experience Index

jjss

Likes # 0

While I'm enjoying the learning curve of Windows 7, I've noticed that the Windows Experience Index has dropped badly.

I'm dual booting with Vista HP and in that OS my HD has a rating of 5.3, while in Win7 it only has a rating of 2.0! All the other ratings are the same for both O/S's

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite Pro A300 and I've tried various Toshiba latest Vista drivers with no joy.

Has anyone else come across this sort of problem and if so have you found a solution yet?

Jack

Like this post
clhd

Likes # 0

It worked! Before with the write cache enabled I got a score of 2.9, unchecked I now come in at 5.7.

Thanks for the tip.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I've just checked the scores on mine:

Processor 7.4
RAM 5.5
Graphics 7.9
Gaming Graphics 6.7
Primary Hard Disk 5.8

The hard disk is just a SATA II Samsung 500GB. If I disable write caching the score increases to 5.9

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

anskyber

Inpressive!! All the answers to all the questions relating to WEI, and only published yesterday (19 Jan).

I've had a quick look, I'll look a bit longer later, but it would seem that jimv7 was on the right track. It seems that Ms have capped the HD score to 3.0 in Win 7 Beta.

Thanks again anskyber for your response, I'll tick as resolved.

Jack

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

click here

To summarise in order to achieve a perfect 7.9 Windows 7 score, users will have to buy a computer powered by at least an 8 core processor. However, the processor is simply not enough. Customers will also have to feed their machine with RAM, somewhere in the vicinity of 8 GB. At the same time, Solid State Drives (SSDs) with very high random I/O rates and as low as possible latency issues will also contribute to getting close to 7.9. When it comes to graphics, users will need a card with at least DirectX 10 support and a WDDM 1.1 driver.

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay in getting back, laptop was hijacked by another family member.

Yes I appreciate what you are saying. When I checked on either side of the dual boot no ticks were present in the policies so I tried to tick the boxes so as to try to force an issue so as to check differences with WEI. That's when I found that I was unable to opt in or out of write caching on Vista or Win 7, that's how I found out that my HD didn't support the option you suggest. Vista or Win 7 will not let me tick the box.

Sorry if I caused confussion.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

You remove the tick by clicking it, i.e. it toggles on/off.

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

I tried making the adjustment first in Win 7 and then in Vista. In both cases it wouldn't let me. Vista didn't say why, however Win 7 told me that my HD didn't support Write caching.

My curiousity continues.

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

To increase your hard disk WEI score (Windows Experience Index) score:

Go to Control Panel All Control Panel Items > Device Manager, expand Disk Drives and right-click the Win 7 drive > Properties > Policies Tab and remove the tick from "Enable write caching on the device’ > OK and re-run your WEI.

It should improve your score but whether it actually improves the speed of disk access I don’t know. I can see no difference but I don't undertake any disk-thrashing tasks.

Like this post
jjss

Likes # 0

Very curious, it seems some will score up while others score down, but I guess this is the "fun" of playing with Beta O/S.

Everything seems to be running okay. I've only come up against three problems, 1 is BBC iPlayer won't load regardless, 2 my online Bank is'nt playing with IE8 yet and 3 PCA site is patchy loading which might be IE8.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

On my laptop with Vista 32 bit,I have a score of 2.9 yet Win 7 has a score of 3.9.I did try & get the Vista score to increase but failed.Strange that on your machine it drops but mine rises with Win 7.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more