We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound problem with Win 7

Legolas

Likes # 0

I have come across my first real problem with Win 7. In any app I use including games, the sound control dial on my laptop does not turn the volume up or down. I can only control the volume within the programme I am in at the time. Anyone found the same problem.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

isnt that due to seperate hotkey drivers for the volume up/down to work?

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

To be honest I am not sure I know what you mean. In XP the volume control on my Laptop turns the volume up/down in any programme that has sound ie WMP or within games. In Win 7 I can only control the sound using the controls within the programme. I have updated the sound drivers with no effect.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Tried mine from the "speakers" icon in the notification area, it controls sound.

Have you tried updating sound drivers?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Quite possibly your problem is caused by missing "Easy Access Key" drivers.My Laptop has the same problem and I intend having a long look round HP site for these "drivers".

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

anskyber the sound can be controlled using the taslbar sound icon

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Sorry had not finished...as I was saying...the sound can be controlled using the taskbar sound icon but not the actual Laptop volume dial.

Chegs ®™
I will have a look on the Fujitsu Siemens website for "Easy Access Key" drivers. Thanks for the replies.

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

My sound control applet installed ok, but gives no control over anything....It's listed as a compatibility issue (AC 97 chip)

The sound works ok, although I though it wasn't until I fired up Doom3 and got blown halfway across the room (had the master volumes on my speaker system set to max!) They had exactly the same issues with this sound chip in Vista....Took them ages to sort it out, seems that one lesson still has not been learned.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will just have to wait...after all it is a beta, although if the problem persisted in the full version I would not use it.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Its not resolved but I will tick

Like this post
corporal53

Likes # 0

I have been looking at Windows 7 and I find it pretty good with exception of my sound it is broken and dragging and not sure how to solve the problem, it does not matter what media player I try it is always the same. Can anyone help please.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad