We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't get it to work

Graham.

Likes # 0

I've followed Lifehacker's dual-boot instructions. When it boots from the disc, all I get is the Windows 7 desktop with no icons, just 'For testing purposes' at the bottom. I can move the mouse but there is nothing to click on, I have to turn off with the switch.

It's not taking me to the installation options.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

glad to help

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

OK, I've used Daemon and it works. It would seem the advice that you need to boot from a disc to dual boot is incorrect. I did it from Vista.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

why dont you just load the ISO using daemon and install it that way
it will save you a couple of DVDS and some hassle

this is after making your partition so you can dualboot

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

The problem seems to be burning the disc. I have downloaded ImgBurn, but however I choose to burn, it comes out as a UDF, not ISO.

Can someone lead me by the hand through burning, please?

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

cntrl+alt+delete to get task manager look in processes see if explorer is running if it is highlight it and click on end task. also if its not .then go to applications and click new task , enter explorer and click ok .
I have known this empty desktop to happen with a freind in the past and this cured it ,it did not happen again.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Try redownloading the file and making a fresh copy. You should get the same key to validate it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks