We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Partition ok. ISO Burn ok, Boot from DVD

Proclaimer

Likes # 0

is set in BIOS and I know how to use it. So when I put my Windows 7 disc into the drive and select boot from DVD (F11) it says 'press any key to boot from DVD' then sails on past that to Windows XP Boot.

So what could I have missed? Is there a boot sector written to the Windows 7 DVD during the ISO burn?

Or something else I have missed like a separate boot disc?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and then insert the DVD that you burned from the Windows 7 ISO file - don't try to boot from the DVD.

When the DVD loads you'll be asked if you want to install Windows 7, and you can select an option to upgrade from your current operating system, or carry out a fresh install -in which case you'll lose all your installed software.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I want to dual boot. That's important info for any potential helper...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

'So insert your Windows 7 disc and reboot your computer (you'll need to have enabled booting from your DVD drive in your system BIOS, but most PCs will have this enabled by default).'

The Windows 7 disc does not boot the PC...

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

Check that the ISO was burned properly. It should be about 2.45GB in size with 5 top-level folders and 3 files.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

Disc self entitled (GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD)
FOLDERS;
boot-efi-sources-support-upgrade
FILES;
autorun-bootmgr-setup
SIZE 2.43gb

I used the 'ImgBurn' to mount the ISO.

I can run 'setup' from inside Windows and get the Install Windows 7 screen.

Like this post
a member

Likes # 0

personally I dont bother burning to dvd these days ,I extracted the file using winrar ,and run the setup exe , choose complete installation ,and you will get a screen (window) with your partitions or drives listed choose the one you want to install on .and Voilla it will install on that partition ,also by running it from your hard drive its much faster to install , mine installed in 11 mins thats from clicking on the setup to being on the windows 7 desktop (fully loaded).

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Follow the guide given by the FE I followed this and it worked great and it dual boots without me having to do any extras.

Like this post
Hedontownee

Likes # 0

I downloaded the ISO file and burned a DVD
I booted using the new DVD
As it started there was very little time to hit the key before the bootup reverted to normal boot (in my case XP)
So be qiuck to start the set up
After selecting language ..country etc
Go for Custom install
So you can make sure you are installing to the correct location !!!!
After that I just let the install take its course
I was tempted at some points to press ...to help it go
But I resisted and let the install process take it own time
Seems to have worked OK here
Only a couple of days old so lots to test out
so far so good!!!

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

on my disc so I will have to download it again.

I think the first issue I had was due to the Acronis Recovery Manager in my MBR. I removed that (and trashed my PC) and eventually tried to install from inside XP-Pro.

After about 5 mins the installation errored out with corrupt files warning so I will start again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...