We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First thoughts

djbenny

Likes # 0

I got this on the friday that it was released 9th Jan.

my first impressions were good, i have it running in a VM with a gig of ram allocated to the machine and the bootup is fast, the overall performance is face and i think they have really made an improvement i am yet to test everythingo n there and have installed firefox which works fine, also getting the live essential pack to be able to use live messenger i am going to install office 2007 to see how that works, but the built in apps have been improved. most of them are taking on the ribbon, such as mspaint which has had a total makeover.

whats your thoughts?

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

I set it up last night and it seems fine, very stable and quick enough but i do have a dual core processor and 4 gig of RAM now.
Looks almost the same as Vista to be honest. I haven't fiddled about with it too much but probably will over the next few days and weeks.
Haven't any antivirus on it yet, tried AVG free and downloaded it twice and both times it said the download was corrupted so I'll have to see about that, I try downloading it on XP to a memory stick and try installing from that.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I loaded AVG Free on Win 7 no problem so my guess is your download is corrupted.

I have 2 items in device manager that are missing drivers,a "coprocessor" and "sm bus controller" but these dont appear to be causing any issues with the rest of the machine.

I dont like having WLM sitting on the taskbar,and havent (yet) found a way to move it to the systray(where its been in every previous version of windows)

I'm unsure if the screen will ever go off fully when its not inuse,all I've seen so far is the screen dimming slightly.

I'm also still looking for the adjustment to put the icons for documents/My Computer/Network,etc on the desktop as I prefer the "classic" views.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The missing driver turned out to be nForce chipset driver from Nvidia.I have just installed it & rebooted and now my Device Manager has no exclamation marks in it.

I have Win 7 installed on an HP 9700 laptop,and it didnt come with any motherboard driver CD so I had to spend quite some time downloading drivers from the HP.com website until I finally discovered the missing file(I used the Vista driver as there are no Windows 7 driver files on HP site)

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

WLM. You should be able to drag the icon to the system tray. Either way you can unpin the icon and get rid of it. Select the arrow to the left of the systray and choose how you want each icon to appear.

Look in Control Panel and power options to choose a pwer plan to fit your need including the advanced section where you can set screen on of and the timing from there.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Thanks anskyber,I'll look into that later.I also found the method to put My Computer/Document folders/Network,etc icons on my desktop(and went to bed so cant recall how I did it now)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite