We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First thoughts

djbenny

Likes # 0

I got this on the friday that it was released 9th Jan.

my first impressions were good, i have it running in a VM with a gig of ram allocated to the machine and the bootup is fast, the overall performance is face and i think they have really made an improvement i am yet to test everythingo n there and have installed firefox which works fine, also getting the live essential pack to be able to use live messenger i am going to install office 2007 to see how that works, but the built in apps have been improved. most of them are taking on the ribbon, such as mspaint which has had a total makeover.

whats your thoughts?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Get a few windows open.

Then choose one and grab it at the top and shake it. All the other windows will minimise, to bring the other windows back shake the original window again. Very...errr......odd.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Skype works perfectly with W7.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

It uses 150MB more RAM than Vista. I did a dxdiag and it shows DX11 so I installed Crysis to see if there were any performance gains, the answer is NO about 10FPS worse than Vista. I'm starting to find bugs and program incapability's, perfect disk 8 won't work but v9 does, if you try to change the size or location of the page file ......the system crashes.!!

Like this post
paul trotter

Likes # 0

Microsoft hasn't revealed pricing yet, but it's likely there'll be various versions of Windows 7 - the beta is labelled Windows 7 Ultimate, and Microsoft has discussed business versions...

As for compatibility, the promise is that anything that works with Vista will work with Windows 7. And as for cheap upgrades - click here

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

installed this evening the main install took about 30 mins though have had a few hairy moments with drivers the vista drivers for the realtek onboard didn't work so dug out the old sb live external and it installed it straight off using generic drivers though only at 16bit so will need to fiddle about with that a bit

from what i have seen so far it is quick to start up and shutdown though the real thing i want to do is bench some games see how we compare with xp but that is one for the weekend

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Well I burnt a new copy and it installed with no problems. Having never used vista I am not sure how different/similar Windows 7 is. First impressions are favourable it is very fast opening programmes and the Internet seems to be faster. I have just done a clean install of XP on my other partition so I can compare the speed between the two fairly accurately. I like the look of Win 7 very modern and crisp. I like the feel of it although not had time to look under the bonnet as it were.

Like this post
grey george

Likes # 0

Do we know what the prices will be, for the finished versions?
Will there be lots of flavours as there are in vista?
Will programme and device compatibility remain the same?
When vista was near to release, those purchasing an xp machine also got a voucher for a free or cheap upgrade to vista when it became available. Will this happen with windows 7 or will it be a free upgrade to anyone with a current valid MS Os?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I have vista [which i prefer to xp]but do not see what i get in upping to windows 7 there's nothing unless someone can put me right its just rearranged graphics. making it SP2 for vista or offering it at a nominal upgrade price of £25ish nothing to justify the usual upgrade prices.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

so that we can indulge in the time-honoured 'Vista is rubbish and Windows XP is fabulous' routine.

The whole idea is to discuss the public beta of Windows 7, and your reactions to it if you've installed it. We know that there are people who like Windows XP, and wish to continue to use it; that's fine, and it's fine to carry on using Vista too, if you're happy with it.

What we want to talk about here is Windows 7, and your reactions to it - one way or the other.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

"If you still insist Vista is rubbish and XP rules then I am sorry but you can stay in the past because if you aren't willing to make the change, I can't see you ever moving away from XP and you will be left behind quite soon".

left behind what exactly ? I can do anything on my XP Based Quadcore Pc that Vista or Windows 7 can and it does it well. So what exactly did you mean ?
If i am doing work in CS4 on XP and someone is doing work in Vista i can tell you for sure which one gets left behind and it isnt me.
Good luck yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home