We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Well, here we go again.....

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

another Windows version is getting ready to roll, and maybe you've downloaded the beta version. If so, what do you think of it? Demand for the public beta software has been heavy - so heavy in fact that Microsoft has suspended the 2.5 million limit on downloads and will continue to offer the software for a further two weeks. If you fancy putting it through its paces take a look at this click here and see if your computer meets the minimum specifications.

If you're one of those people who think beta software is best left well alone perhaps you'll be interested in what the intrepid downloaders have to say - either way we hope you'll find this a helpful, informative addition to our forums.

Like this post
pcmags

Likes # 0

I use 1GB RAM when using Vista in VMWare.
The main problem it seems is that some drivers are not vista compatible. Yes i could probably hunt then down off the Toshiba site but I'm not really keen to run a full version or dual boot.

Same reason why Windows 7 will be run within VMWare.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Many thanks.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

There's a good blog on Lifehacker about dual-booting:

click here

Like this post
NayC

Likes # 0

pcmags... you can't say your computer doesn't run properly with Vista when you install on a Virtual Machine such as VMWare as its running within (XP?) and you can then assign it more resources (as standard it assigns 512MB RAM etc).

If you got a "Vista Ready" laptop i'm assuming its sold as a simple home or business laptop and wont be amazing specs (especially when the say its Vista Ready, as that means... it should just about work) so to try run a VMW computer running Vista from XP (or even Vista again) is generally quite a feat for a little laptop. (This is if i've assumed correctly). I dont mean any offence, i'm just saying as if thats all you've tried, then try again.

Like this post
Rob_08

Likes # 0

Depends on your download speed. On my 8MB connection it took me 40 minutes to download Windows 7.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

how long does the download take on average?

Like this post
darrenrichie

Likes # 0

Download Windows 7 here click here

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

where can i download windows 7 build 7000 from legally?

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I was going to go down that route but somehow I don't really get the feeling you are trying it out proper. So I created a partition and will install it there and dual boot with XP....well thats the plan anyway :)

Like this post
pcmags

Likes # 0

My Laptop bought in 2007 was meant to be Vista compatible & i got the Vista Business upgrade for free. But sadly my laptop will not work fully with Vista, i know as i tried it in VMWare.

Will Windows 7 go the same way?
Or will users stick with XP or Vista!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen