We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using USB mem stick as RAM?

dagbladet

Likes # 0

Due to a lack of thorough research, I rather jumped in and bought a Vista Home Premium laptop with 1 gb RAM. Ever the optomist I set about scouring t'interweb for various methods of speeding it up a bit. I turned of Aero, sidebar and set the graphics for max performance etc. Last night someone told me that by inserting a USB stick I can improve the performance. I've tried wording this query in various ways but am having no luck in my searches. Does anyone know anything about this tweak?

Like this post
sunny staines

Likes # 0

click here

click here

hope these links help. you need 2g ram to get vista running fast.

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

Its called Readyboost as sunny staines has linked to.

Personally I don't think it makes much difference for most things and its a far better idea to add more dedicated memory rather than relying on a memory stick.

Buy another gig of RAM, presumming you have a slot free, this should tell you click here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Upgraded my vista laptop to 2 GB ram. Only had two slots so got 2 x 1GB at a cost of £35 including postage.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Thanks for those responses. I've now tried it with a 2gb mem stick. Can't say it made much difference, but I'm not really sure what to expect.

Like this post
PP321

Likes # 0

I wont make much difference as the system ram is adressed in a completely different way.

Memory bandwidth in a standard upto date computer can be around 12.8 Gb/s

USB 2.0 has a theoretical maximum of 480mbps it is not a sustained transfer protocal, but instead works in burst transfers. it can, in theory, reach up to 480mbps, but rarely does.

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

I'm afraid on the laptop I tried it on I saw no real difference so that is the reason I said that personally I think it makes no real difference. For most of us at least.

Now you might see a difference in something that was terribly memory hungry. I say might as I can only see what I saw, a slight increase in speed that unless I was actually timing it I'm sure I would have never noticed.

Buy more RAM, save yourself the bother. And make sure you get the right RAM for your PC so goto Crucial and get what they recommend.

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

It isn't any bother, I just plug it into the side. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience.

Once you told me it was called 'Readyboost', I found loads of stuff on the net(cheers). Unfortunately I have 512 per slot, and no spare slot, so I'd have to buy 2 gigs. As for the 'Crucial' mem tool, it must be me, but on three machines I have owned it has never been able to pin down the exact spec of my RAM (I'm sort of lucky with things like that).

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

Well good luck with the Readyboost, as I said earlier on, the 2 PCs I tried it on, the difference was minimal if I could see anything at all, one with a 1 gig stick and the other with a 2 gig stick.

Something I perhaps should mention about Readyboost, in order to work the USB stick must be fast enough, so its worth checking if your memory stick supports Readyboost if you already have one. The stick I have does not support Readyboost but the replacement they sell now does as its faster.

Like this post
sunny staines

Likes # 0

use this to get specs of your pc including ram, its a free program

pcwizard 2008 click here

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

Well, i've tried it for a week now. I used an unbranded (promotional gift) 2Gig stick which was 'accepted' by Readyboost. I played around with photo editing, watched a DVD, streamed some radio, surfed the web. I'm not sure that I noticed any difference and it certainly did not improve the boot up time. For some reason this morning, the same stick was deemed not suitable for Readyboost. End of trial. No better no worse.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback