We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

US version of Vista

Truronian

Likes # 0

In view of the price differences between US and UK sellers of Vista, is there a problem with buying it in the US while I am on holiday over there?

Like this post
brundle

Likes # 0

I'd like an answer to this too so

<bump>

Hoping to get a friend in the US to order and ship it;
Without Vista prices being available, I did a comparison with XP Pro - PCWorld in the UK do XP Professional for £260, and at CircuitCity in the US it's $300, or £152 at the current exchange rate - they are just an ordinary high-street chain like PCWorld.

Like this post
Truronian

Likes # 0

.. was about compatability between Vista sold for use in the US and Vista sold for use in the UK. I accept that there may be a problem if it needs returning or if there is a guarantee problem. What about compatability?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I have spoken to someone in the States who is working in IT.

He has said what I expected, any PC can be set up for any region with the same key.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There is no technical problem with importing US Software such as Vista onto a UK based PC. I do it all the time. but remember that US prices as advertised do not usually include the local sales tax. These vary from state to state but are typically 8.5% which must be paide at the point of sale. So a $300 ticketed item will actually cost the purchaser $325.50. As for importing it when you return you run the risk (albeit a small on) that if you are picked up by customs and you exceed their limit on imported goods - currently £136 or roughly $250) then not only will you be liable to pay the 17.5% VAT on the goods you may well also be fined.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED