We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I upgrade to Vista from OEM XP?

Stuart_Turner

Likes # 0

Hi,

I've got an OEM version of XP Home and wanted to save some money and buy the upgrade Home Premium Vista. Will it let me upgrade from an OEM XP?
I did find a microsoft thingy to check coa codes a while back but cant find it anymore...

Thanks,

Stu

Like this post
giovannicosta

Likes # 0

Id like to know this too as I was hoping to do the same

Like this post
sunny staines

Likes # 0

it should detect xp like any other xp version provided not pirate and upgrade as normal.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I think it is OK. The version installed on new PCs and used as the base for the current V ista upgrade voucher offer for new PCs will of course be the OEM version.

Like this post
Stuart_Turner

Likes # 0

Will the version of Vista that i get installed using the OEM XP as the upgrade base be an OEM version of Vista?

If this is the case then I will obviously not want to do this as there are no major hardware changes allowed e.g. motherboard. This is something I plan to do in the near future and several more times during the life of Vista.

If this is the case then £210 for full version seems excessive. Maybe I'll have to wait...

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

"Will the version of Vista that i get installed using the OEM XP as the upgrade base be an OEM version of Vista?"
I think in effect yes.

Like this post
sangria

Likes # 0

I don't have a voucher. I have OEM XP.

I thought I could just buy an upgrade version of Vista in the shops and have a full programme without the OEM restrictions. The verification code on the Vista box would be the same for whoever bought it, so it must be non OEM.

Can someone who knows 100% for sure verify if this is the case? There are a lot of people in the same boat. I guess it was the same when XP came along and all the other upgrades before.

Like this post
josie mayhem

Likes # 0

If you buy a up-grade version of Vista off the shelf, then it's not OME so can be used on any computer that has a eariler version of windows...

The up-grade copy will always be dependant on being able to detect a ealier version of windows, but it just needs to know that you have a valid disk...

So in many respects if the ealier version is OME then this will efect the up-grade copy to a cetain extent...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made