We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Upgrade Voucher Confusion

ivanharding

Likes # 0

Hi, having just gone freelance, I desperately need a new laptop and have a Sony FE31z in my sights (it comes preloaded with XP MCE).

However, given the proximity of Vista, I am holding off until I can work out what is the deal the Vista upgrade vouchers.

I contacted the cheapest retailers (Comet and Dabs would you believe) who both said they are not offering Vista Upgrade vouchers. Some online retailers *are* offering the vouchers with this laptop but they are in the region of £50-£100 more cash.

I have seen the Microsoft UK site which says any Vista ready Sony laptop bought between Oct 26th and March is eligible to a free upgrade. Go to the Sony URL and you find yourself on their US Site; it only seems to talk about this deal being available in the US. Go to Sony Europe and there is no mention of Vista anywhere.

I don't want to spend £1000+ on a laptop only to miss out on Vista by a few weeks.

Can anyone clarify - is this deal being run and financed by Microsoft or do I have to make sure I buy through a vendor who is offering the coupon?

Thanks for your help!

Like this post
Bomberboy1943

Likes # 0

I had a packard Bell Easynote Sw bought for me from currys I got a voulcher for yhe upgrade but after reading all the hoha about it I'm unsure if i'm going to bother

Like this post
gaz666999

Likes # 0

I have just built two systems for myself, so that makes me a system builder and because they are for myself that also makes me the end user, although I am not an authorised system builder it makes no difference! Basically I just build PC's either for myself or friends and family etc on a "as and when" basis.
I bought two OEM versions of Windows XP Pro from ebay and these came with upgrade vouchers to Windows Vista Business. Went to the muduslink website and successfully submitted my order using a credit card (£16.93 for two vista business disks)! Wasn't too sure about what receipts to send in as I always source the parts I use to build from various outlets so I phoned the helpline for modus link on 00800 666 44 666 (this number calls to the U.S but it is a free call confirmed on my phone bill (don't forget there are 2 zeros before the 800. Anyway, I told them my situation and they said not a problem, just send in the receipts for my purchase of XP Pro OEM's (which shows the date of purchase), copies of both COA licenses and the upgrade vouchers. So have now sent these off to the Netherlands address:

Software Upgrade Program
PO Box 252
7300 AG Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Email: MSTUPVISTAEMEA@moduslink.com
Fax: 31-55-543 3946

Just send it off guys, you will get your upgrades and although they are not completely free (shipping charges apply) it's a massive saving!

Like this post
steven999

Likes # 0

Why not search on Google for the OEM versions. Home Premium is around £75 incl VAT and Ultimate is £124 incl VAT. Saves messing with vouchers.

Like this post
squillary

Likes # 0

From Mesh the upgrade from XP Media Edition is just the rip-off p&p charge of £15+VAT. But from the ordinary XP Home to Vista Home Basic is £49+£15 and to Vista Home Premium it's £79+£15

Like this post
happyhotspur

Likes # 0

I purchased a Vista ready computer and obtained my upgrade voucher. I have tried several times to register on line and just get an error message saying it does not accept the voucher code. I have follwed the link to e-mail the upgrade site and on both occasion have never received a reply from microsoft.

Don't they want you to upgrade? or only wont you to purchased at the full retail price. No chance I'll stick to XP.

I did contact my manufacturer who explained that it was a Microsoft problem and I can only sort it out through them. But as they don't answer e-mails how do i sor tit out?

anybody else had similiar problems.

Like this post
matmou

Likes # 0

Just to let you all know I have just got through to the moduslink helpline (00800 66644666)only waiting 10 mins! I ordered the upgrade on 26 Dec - went through after several attempts. Then got confirmation email asking for proof of purchase. I emailed my invoice form sony style about a week later and asked them to confirm receipt. Never heard anything so rang today on the above number, gave my order number, and they told me my invoice has been validated and I will receive an email when they despatch the upgrade. They could not give me an estimate when but at least they said I will get it!

Like this post
gaz666999

Likes # 0

Like most other people on here I wished now that I hadn't bothered with the upgrade voucher scheme, would have been far simpler just to wait for the Vista OEM which appeared for sale soon after applying for this anyway!
The process through moduslink is riddled with problems and there are several stages to get through. For starters I know that they have had problems with UK debit card numbers and orders are being cancelled if a debit card was used, so you have to use a credit card ONLY!
Once through this you get the "order confirmed" status. Then after sending off the requested docs by registered post it was approx 3 weeks until the status was changed to "POP Vailidated" (proof of purchase). Next about a week later this changed to "POP/COA Validated" and then another week later this changed to "order is approved" and once you get this your shipping date is imminent as 3 days later I got this!

Order Number : 136xxxx
Order Status : Order is shipped
Shipping Date : Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Carrier : SPRING
AWB# : Unknown

All in all the whole process just stresses you out and what's the betting that it takes weeks to arrive?

Like this post
PaulB2005

Likes # 0

click here

Amazing how they hype something up as the next "must have" and then get surprised and overwhelmed when people actually order it. Everytime.....

Like this post
gaz666999

Likes # 0

Yes I agree and even more amazing is the bit that say's "express upgrade" which certainly goes against the trade descriptions act!

Like this post
gaz666999

Likes # 0

Just to say this took exactly 12 days to arrive (from shipping date) by Royal Mail second class and came from Greenford in Middlesex!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July