We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 Proxy Server Problems

blondmusic

Likes # 0

I have a desktop and laptop both running Windows 8. Desktop has no problems at all but the laptop is getting very annoying.

I was using the Google Chrome Browser and if I opened a tab or a link a message would come up saying the it was unable to connect to the Proxy Server. I changed the settings in Chrome but if I opened a new window it would do it again. Thinking it was the browser I changed to use Firefox but I have the same problem with that.

Can anyone help on how to sort this out?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check internet options and under the connections tab, settings, untick the 'use a proxy server.....'. If it keeps coming back to use a proxy server then you might have some malware. Run your security scans and try the free Malwarebytes select the free download, update and run a full scan.

Like this post
blondmusic

Likes # 0

Thanks. I ran the anti Malware and it did find a threat which it has removed.

Like this post
blondmusic

Likes # 0

No im still having problems. Ran an anti virus and the anti malware. Still coming up with Proxy server.

I recently upgraded the Desktop to Windows 8.1 without any problems but the Laptop will not do the same.

I go into the Store and click on the Download for Windows 8.1, it starts to download then gets about half way before it just stops then goes back to the beginning of the download. I have disabled the anti-virus (temporarily) but it is still doing this. I get no warning or error code.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Click on the Action Centre icon in the notification area (desktop), open it, select troubleshoot and then select Network and Internet. Run the trouble-shooter to see if that detects anything and repairs.

Still on the desktop, after running the trouble-shooter, right click the start icon, bottom left, select Command Prompt (admin). Type or copy and paste sfc/scannow at the blinking cursor, then press enter. You might need to run it a couple of times if it shows errors.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention, but make sure you create your restore to factory settings medium. The restore manager can be found in all programs ( Start page, right click blank area, bottom right click on icon, all tiles (programs) show. Use the mouse wheel to scroll and find your laptop's manufacturer's restore manager program. If you can only use a USB flash drive to do this then I suggest you don't use a cheap drive. Remember to have a backup of all your Docs.,music, Photos, emails if saved on laptop, browser favourites etc.

Like this post
blondmusic

Likes # 0

All fixed now. I did a PC refresh and it seems to have done the trick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features