We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop freezes on Windows 8.1 logo screen

Mr Wood

Likes # 0

I have an HP DV6 Pavilion laptop upgraded to Windows 8.1.

On a cold boot (after system shutdown) the laptop freezes on the Windows Logo screen. If I turn off and immediately reboot it boots up fine, any ideas what could be causing this?

There are no drivers installed, this is a fresh clean installation.

Like this post
Mr Wood

Likes # 0

Problem seems to be the Fastboot option. If disabled works fine.

The Fastboot option always worked on Windows 8, but won't now in Windows 8.1. Any ideas anyone?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Sorry I cannot offer a solution but it seems that you are not alone Click Here

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I had an acer laptop freezing on the welcome screen wallpaper on 8.0. With fast boot off, I didn't see a major difference in loading time, so I just turned it off via the bios. No freeze since. I also changed my graphics drivers for generic intel ones, as I thought that might have been related to the issue at first. I haven't tried fast boot again or updating my graphics drivers.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

This from rdave13 which seems to work.

When you get to the sign in window press and hold the shift key then click power button and select restart. You should now see the Advanced Start-up Options menu screen. From the troubleshoot tile try advanced options then system restore. If you get back to normal then the first thing to do is create a restore to factory medium. Used to be a set of DVDs but now also allows a backup to a flash drive. I would do both if allowed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded