We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre

rdlandco

Likes # 0

I have upgraded my new Sony Vaio All-in-one computer to Windows 8.1 Pro which has given me Media Centre with a new Product Key which I have entered. I cannot get the Media Centre to recognise the built-in TV Tuner in the Sony as it comes up with a message 'The TV Signal cannot be configured because a TV Tuner was not detected. If you have a TV Tuner ensure it is installed correctly.' I cannot see how I can check this. I have managed to download the current TV schedules in 'Guide' which suggests the program has detected a TV signal or maybe this has just come from the Internet connection rather than the TV Tuner. I have a TV aerial connection to the back of the computer and am stuck with what to try next. The TV program works fine with a very good picture but I cannot record. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and can help me (an 80 year old silver surfer!!)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Worked hard to get this info. IE 11 let me down with 404 errors and good old open source Firefox did the job. Shows that you should have duplicates of everything on a PC including browsers.

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

I ordered a dongle to enable me to use Windows Media Centre but Dabs were out of stock and have still not supplied. I could have got it elsewhere at higher cost, but from Germany etc., and not so easy to return or question, if necessary, so am still waiting!! In the meantime I have found that by attaching a spare hard drive to the dedicated USB behind the computer and connected to the TV tuner section,as well as registering this as required, I can record. I could have saved over £150 if I had known this before. The TV is completely separate from the computer. If only this had been made clear by Sony Engineers or information had been available on the package. I think this is disgraceful and a serious black mark for Sony.

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

I tried to pot a message yesterday but seem to have failed!! I have eventually found out how to record on this new Vaio computer which has a TV facility completley separate from the computer. I have wasted over £150 buying Windows 8 Pro to get Media Centre and a further £54 for a dongle to provide a link to the computer which has not yet been delivered due to stock shortage!! It is a pity that there is no indication of the separate function and any direction on how to overcome it...even Sony Engineers did not advise me. There is a dedicated USB connection at the back of the monitor and I have attached an old hard disk which then had to be 'registered' with the machine. I have managed to record a TV program and am now struggling with how to play it back as access is not readily apparent as it would be on a recording machine. Black Mark to Sony for poor information and poor access.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Manual, Direct Link [Click here] The Manual is in .Zip format, You have to UNZIP it, When you have done that, Find that Directory (Folder) (AEFP100111), inside that is another (Folder) (AEFP100111), inside that is another (Folder) (eng), inside that, Right Mouse Click OPEN this file index.html

The Menu is on the Left,

Under View, USB, Then Click Watching a Program Recorded in a USB HDD Device

From the Manual, "The following explains how to play back the programs recorded in a USB HDD device.

1. Press the HOME button No:9 in this click hereon the remote.

2. Select Recordings, Title List, then select the model of the connected USB HDD device. The recorded programs are displayed.

3. Select the desired program, then press the + button In the middle of No:7 in this click here on the remote."

4. Enjoy your Recorded TV Program..

ps. If you need more information, Don't be afraid to ask me here...

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the links did not work but I have found out how to view recordings now, which is as you say in your message. I cannot seem to get the manual though. When I tried to register my computer with Sony the details required did not provide my model SVL2413/2 or 412M1EB and I could not complete the registration. I just seem to have problem after problem with Sony. I manage to struggle on but it is most annoying and frustrating. It is just as well that I am long retired and have time on my hands!!

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

The Manuals Page are in this Click here if you scroll down about half way, The English ones are between the Greek & Spanish.

I'll try again for the Direct Link Download Click here

Like this post
rdlandco

Likes # 0

Thanks again for guidance but I am still stuck!! I have downloaded the link and can get the English Contents page but nothing else. It tells me 'Page not found' I see the file is zipped and I have done what I think is right to unzip it but I just cannot get to any dialogue by way of a manual. perhaps at my age I am not understanding how to proceed and would appreciate any further help. I apologise for any trouble caused!! Tony S.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings