We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange behaviour of Windows Explorer in Windows 8

Pineman100

Likes # 0

Ever since I bought my new laptop, running W8 64-bit, I've had an irritating glitch in Windows Explorer.

I launch Windows Explorer, and then scroll down the stack of folders in the left-hand pane (I have thousands of photos stored, so I have quite a complicated series of nested folders-within-folders). When I reach the appropriate top-level folder and start clicking on the little arrows to navigate down through the nested sub-folders, by the time I get down a couple of levels, Explorer will suddenly jump to the top or bottom of the entire folder stack. So I then have to scroll up or down again to find the folder I was clicking on.

At first I thought I was missing my click target and causing this myself, but that's definitely not the case - it happens every single time I use Windows Explorer.

Can anyone please explain why this is happening, and how to stop it?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Could be of the size of the tree that's running. Using the Library might be better? Also in File Explorer, the list on the left contains a 'Favourite' section at the top. You could drag a main folder to this area for easier acces. It will still be in the file explorer tree as it's only a shortcut.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To get the Favourites to show on the list, click the View tab in file explorer, click the dropdown arrow under the navigation pane (top left), and tick the box to show favourites.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13 - that might be a useful work-around. But I'd still like to try and find out what's causing the basic problem. When you say that it might be the size of the tree, is it a known problem that Windows Explorer starts behaving oddly when the tree is large (which mine is)?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I haven't heard that it's a known problem. An over sensitive mouse perhapse?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've expanded the C, D, E and G drives, expanded many folders and sub folders, opened and closed various sub folders and scrolled using the wheel of the mouse. I'm not getting this jumping to the top effect. It's no help I know but just to check that it wasn't a problem with win 8.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for your further help, rdave13. It sounds as though you have a more complex tree than me, so I guess we can rule out that possibility.

However, I hadn't thought of it being a mouse problem. I'll try the laptop without a mouse - just touchpad - and see what happens.

Off out now, but I'll try this later and let you know.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

rdave13 - sorry for the delayed reply.

I've tried the computer with two other mice and with touchpad only - I still get the problem!

I suppose I'm just going to have to continue to live with it.

Thanks very much for trying to help me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded