We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Win 8 user

Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

The wife has a new lappy, due to be started up for the first time tomorrow. Neither of us has any experience of Windows 8. It's probably all going to be straightforward, but are there any trip-ups to know about before we start?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[It's probably all going to be straightforward.]

If you have not used it before it is anything but straight forward.

24 Hours practice on it will help.

It is a bit like Vista some like it some don't.

There are others that like it and they are the best ones to get advice from but being the weekend probably there will not be many on here.

If you get any problems and there is nobody else about I will try and help the best I can.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The usual as with any laptops. Check to see what software is available for trial. Do not open them. Decide what you don't need and uninstall through programs and features. Usually security software trials.

Win 8 comes with Defender and its own firewall so it is protected from new.

Once you find your way around, find how to create your factory restore discs and create them as soon as you can. There is no key label on Win 8 laptops.

Create a user that has a Microsoft email, ie hotmail, live mail or the new Outlook and use the email password to log in. This allows the use of all the tiles. That means the email address is the user name.

Later I would create a second Standard admin account, call it Stand-by, or similar, in case you run into difficulty with the original profile. This is just a backup account.

Like this post
aquatarkus

Likes # 0

You find that Windows Defender that is no built into Win8 is ample protection as far as antivirus goes, its built into the core of Win8 so don't worry about supposed poor reviews etc. Would suggest that you install Malware Bytes Antimalware (free version is ok) and CCleaner.

As Jock1e said uninstall all the programs you don't want or unpin them from the start screen.

Have a look here as loads of tutorials for Win8 http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/

Me I love Win8 and its new interface, yes it takes a bit of getting used to but once your used to it it works really well.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

there is no start menu, but w8 can run it here from the task bar saving the use of 3rd party software.

follow the following steps 1. Right click empty section of the taskbar 2. Click toolbars 3. 3.click new toolbar 4. Click empty section of the address bar 5. Type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu 6. Press enter 7. Click “select folder” button lower screen 8. Click toolbar arrows to open

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"are there any trip-ups to know about before we start?"

That's a difficult one to answer without knowing your previous experience with Windows. If you've used Windows 7 it should all be fairly easy. The interface has been designed primarily with touch screens in mind,but you can very easily revert to the more familiar desktop view.

My advice is to play around with Windows 8. I'm sure you'll soon start to feel at home with what is really a very good Windows version.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Once you find your way around, find how to create your factory restore discs and create them as soon as you can. "

This is worth repeating - do it before you do anything else

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies.

Well, it's certainly a bit different. I'm not sure I like the way email is handled, but the wife does and it's her laptop!

Got rid of all the crap and bloat as soon as, and recovery discs made.

I'm now going back to my Vista machine!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As long as the wife likes it that is the main thing.

There should be an update for it in the next month or two which will be called Windows Blue and I think they are under pressure to have the old menu and start up installed in as well it so you will be able to choose what to use.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There should be an update for it in the next month or two which will be called Windows Blue"

Windows blue is the internal name for the update - the official name will almost certainly be Windows 8.1

The update will undoubtedly be free to existing Windows 8 users, and there is likely to be a preview version in June. The release version will not be available until late in the year however.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

There is more than one MS win email she can use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded