We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Password box has the jitters so password cannot be entered

gordonbennett

Likes # 0

When trying to get into Windows 8 the box for entering the password is very jittery and will not allow typing. A mouse click stabilises it until I try again when the box becomes jittery again. The jitters extend to the small icons of the clock face to the left and the 'off' icon to the right.

Is there a remedy and, if there is, what is it - bearing in mind particularly that I cannot get into Windows in order to input, or reset, anything.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

On the log in screen press and hold the SHIFT key and try to click on the power button and click on restart. If it's worked it should boot to the Advanced startup options screen. Select Troubleshoot then safe mode. Reboots to safe mode then log in. If it's working OK running in safemode it could be a graphics problem or that your screen resolution is wrong. Has the graphics driver been updated? Also right click on desktop, screen resolution and see if set to recommended settings.

Like this post
gordonbennett

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Your suggestion did produce a menu above the START button but it appeared so briefly I could not read it, let alone choose one of the alternatives. However, being a click-happy type, I held down ALT instead of START and got straight to the menu which included the RESTART option - which worked perfectly.

Like this post
gordonbennett

Likes # 0

Apologies - START in line 3 of my reply should, of course, be SHIFT.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's good to know about using the ALT key, will have to try it out :) Did you find out what was causing the issue?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features