We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 8 and bt yahoo

hevver6

Likes # 0

We recently bought a windows 8 laptop....HP ...Windows 8 does not support BT yahoo email....BT advised downloading microsoft live mail which we did and it all worked perfectly EXCEPT it did not sync the contacts from BT Yahoo account...any ideas? Also receiving email seems to take ages...sent one from my gmail account on my phone and it took at least 10 mins to show in live mail inbox...are we doing somehting wrong?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I'm not sure why you think that Windows 8 Metro Mail App does not support BT Yahoo email. I have my BTinternet email as an account on Windows 8 and it works fine. I set it up as a POP3 account with the following settings:

Incoming - winmetro.imap.mail.yahoo Port 993

Outgoing winmetro.smtp.mail.yahoo Port 465.

Both incoming and outgoing servers require SSL ticked

Outgoing server needs authentication and both the use same username and password for send and receive mail.

Like this post
hevver6

Likes # 0

the BT website said it was not compatible with Windows 8 ....the guy in currys did install btinternet on the mail tile but it doesn't work..nothing comes in or goes out that is why I went onto the BT site in first place....think we might just change to gmail and be done with it

Like this post
hevver6

Likes # 0

chub-tor...thanks for reply can u walk me through what I would do to get it working on the mail tile .....I am totally not techy and struggle with basic computer stuff and am terrified I destroy the whole thing if I hit the wrong button so am a bit scared to just go for it....when we click on the tile btinternet comes up but no new emails and strangely all the old inbox ones are now in deleted folder and none of the contacts have migrated over either!! should I uninstall and start again and if so how would I uninstall? Sorry to be pain

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

I'm using BT/Yahoo mail on windows 8 with no problem, didn't have to do anything so I can't understand why it will not work for you.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

hevver6

Here is how I think that I did it....

Click on the Mail App on the Metro page.

Move the cursor to the far top right so that the Charms show up and then click on Settings.

Click on Accounts

Click on Add Account

Click on Other Account if Yahoo is not shown or Yahoo if it is.

I think I used POP but now I'm not certain and it may be IMAP but choose POP first to see if this works

Enter the name that you want to call your Account

Enter your name

Enter the interval you want emails downloaded (every 30 minutes?)

Enter the length of time you want to see emails for (last 2 weeks)

Tick the Content to Sync email box

Tick to automatically download external images (or not)

Put in a signature if you want to and turn signature on/off

Enter your email address xxxx@btinternet.com

Enter your password

Enter your email username (same as your email address)

Then fill in the remaining sections using the details given in my first post for the incoming and outgoing servers.

Good luck and if it doesn't work repeat but select IMAP a the beginning.

Like this post
hevver6

Likes # 0

thanks chub-tor will try tonight and let u know if I break the whole thing!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded