We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pceu locked windows 8

morgan450

Likes # 0

help - this ransomware has locked my laptop - i cannot get into safe mode, within minute of startup i get the screen display and am locked out.

solutions seem to be for earlier op systems or on basis i can get to safe mode.

i cant.

any guidance welcome

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Because you're unable to get into Safe Mode, hopefully you'll find that a bootable HitmanPro Kickstart bootable USB memory stick will get rid of your pesky ransomware infection. See here for full details including an informative video.

Best of luck.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

....forgot to mention that if your laptop is new and came with Windows 8 pre-loaded then it's likely that you'll be prevented from booting from removable media. However you should be able to go into the UEFI configuration screens (which is the modern equivalent of the BIOS) and temporarily disable the "Secure Boot" option.

Like this post
morgan450

Likes # 0

its a new laptop with windows 8 preloaded. if theres any way of accessing anything then suggestions welcomed.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"if theres any way of accessing anything then suggestions welcomed."

How did you get on with the suggestions I've already made?

You may find that the bootable USB memory stick works fine even though you're running Windows 8. If you don't have a blank one handy then there's a link on that page to create a bootable CD instead.

Or if all that is beyond your level of expertise then you could persevere with trying to get your laptop to start in Safe Mode - have a look here and scroll down to the section called "Booting Windows 8 In Safe Mode When PC Is Not Starting"

Like this post
morgan450

Likes # 0

i cant say your help isnt working as i cannot get to try any of them. this virus seems to be there from the moment laptop is switched on.

i have hit shift f8 until i have almost worn the lettering away, but i cannot get into anything.

all i get is what appears to be start to the app screen and then within a few seconds the lock screen appearing.

i cannot get to select anything in that short time.

as its new pc all my data is backed up from old laptop so im not worried about losing anything.

i just need to get in to do it

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Hold down shift button and keep tapping F8 or F5 at start up.Try that.

other than that you would need a W/8 CD to run a repair.

Have you got a back to factory settings on that laptop.That may work but meens you would need to download all the programs and updates again.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Make and model number of the laptop might help figure out if it has the back to factory settings on it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could try this if you can download it.

Emisoft

Now to use it using the CD you will probably have to go into the bios and change the boot order to start with CD.

If you are not sure how to do that just give us the laptop make and model number and someone will explain to you how to do it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Should have added I have never had to try it myself but If using USB you would need to have that start as first boot.

As I am not sure I am sure others will keep you right.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

morgan450, the HitmanPro Kickstart bootable USB stick (or CD) has been specifically designed for situations such as yours where the ransomware infection prevents you from doing anything in Windows. I suggest you have good read of the first link I posted if haven't already attempted it and the tip below doesn't help.

Regarding getting into Safe Mode, are you able to get to the screen where you login with your username and password (before Windows 8 opens)? If so, don't try to login but instead hold down the left shift key on your keyboard, click the little white power icon bottom-right and choose Restart. Keep the shift key held down until you get the blue screen with white text that says "Choose an Option". If you get that far release the shift key and choose "Troubleshoot your PC" -> "Advanced Options" -> "System Restore" and let the laptop restart. Choose an available restore point that pre-dates the infection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer