We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti virus

bturner

Likes # 0

My Mother has just bought her first laptop, tomorrow I will help her to install Windows 8 which is pre installed.

She bought Norton Anti Virus.

I was going to download and install Malwarebyes and Superantispyware, is that a good or bad idea?

Apparently with Windows 8 you cannot make recovery discs but instead need to make them on a flash drive.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you want to remove Norton you have to download the removal tool from Norton and follow the instructions.

It is the only way to remove it completely without clashing with your new one.

Norton removal tool

If you have already downloaded Norton and using it I would just use that till it runs out and it gives you plenty time to make up your mind of what you would prefer to use.

Maybe take the other one back for a refund if you don't want to use it.Just tell them it was miss sold as they gave you the wrong information.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The Norton 60 day trial will disable Defender automatically. In the Start page, right click a blank space and select 'all apps' on the bottom bar. Use the mouse wheel to scroll to the right and Windows Defender's tile is there. To go back to the ordinary Start page right click again and select 'all apps'.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

how do I make a recovery disc/flash drive?, as the previous link I gave, http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-create-recovery-media-144098

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you for the replies,

I will have a go at deleting the Norton 30 day trial tomorrow. I assume that I click the second of the six options in the link you provided Jock1e?

Many thanks for the help dave, I will let you know how I get on.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Yes it would be the 2nd one.

I believe the best way to do it would be to remove it from add remove then run the removal tool to remove the leftovers.

It will probably tell you what to do anyway.

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

I uninstalled the 2 applications of Norton from control panel, programs. Then used the Norton removal tool

Activated Windows Defender and firewall. It looks like Defender includes spyware so may not need Superantispyware.

If things run OK for my Mother next week I will download Malwarebytes.

Also made a Recovery drive.

Thank-you for all the helpful answers.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Glad you're sorted. Install SAS and Malwarebytes as soon as , is my advice. You can either pay a one-off fee for MBAM or SAS, doesn't really matter which (but only one), and you'll be fairly protected. If you're not happy with Defender, then simply download AVG free antivirus. This will disable Defender and both other programs will run OK with no conflict.

Let us know how your mum gets along with Windows 8. It will be most interesting. Thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features