We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to Access emails

gippingman

Likes # 0

Not sure if this is the best part of the forum for this, but here goes.

I used to have an xp machine using outlook express as my mail program and talk talk as my isp - I had a primary (non talk talk) email address and a secondary talk talk email address. I still use both of these. I now have a windows 8 pc using outlook 2003. As I understand it, I used to use the talk talk mail servers to either send and/or receive all my emails - the server information in outlook 2003 now says "incoming email sever (POP3)" pop.orangehome.co.uk and "outgoing mail server SMTP" )smtp.talktalk.net - I can now send and receive email on both email addresses. The issue is that when I transferred my emails from the old computer to the new one, I did it via usb stick which I now understand is not the best way to do it! Although I can access the emails, I can no longer access email attachments and all emails are showing as "received" on the transfer date as opposed to the original date they were received. Is there any way of improving on this? I was advised talk talk may be able to resend all my emails to me as a solution, but talk talk indicated to me they cant do this. Advice appreciated

Add to doobs's Reputation View Your Speedtest Results

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

I think you would be better off forgetting Outlook and going for Windows Live Mail. You should be able to easily import everything from your old Outlook Express machine - messages, address book, and attachments!

Like this post
gippingman

Likes # 0

Thanks - forgot to say that my son now has the old XP machine and he has installed windows 8 on it! - unless there is some other way of importing the emails, attachments etc, I am stuck with the USB stick that I have already used and this seems to have transferred the emails over in a view only/basic fashion - probably as I did not use the best practice method?

Like this post
Number six

Likes # 0

How did you copy the emails? If they are in .eml format, then I'm afraid there is nothing further you can do. If, however, you made a full copy of all the .dbx files from OE's message store, then you should be able to import everything intact to WLM, including original message dates etc. A search for "transfer OE to WLM" will turn up plenty of help.

Like this post
gippingman

Likes # 0

I have now managed to find a sort of solution on how to retain the "received" date on my emails after transferring them via usb stick to my windows 8 pc. At present, in outlook 2010 they just say *.eml. However If I either open them from a email folder stored on my desktop or open them from outlook , I can "move to" - chose the folder and for whatever reason, the received date and subject title etc revert to the original format, which is what I want. However, I have to open each email individually and I have loads!. Is there a way to move the emails in bulk but keeping the "received date as the original date. I don't think I have explained this very well (it is difficult to) but hopefully someone can help?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features