We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost Document Files Windows 8

was321@sky.com

Likes # 0

Got a new Samsung laptop, Windows 8, and was in process of setting it up. Had a few snags doing this but had set restore points as I went along as a safety net. Tried a restore, but was unsuccessful due to "anti-virus interference". So switched of Norton and Windows firewall, still did not restore. This is when I probably did a silly thing. I did a Recovery to factory settings - no problem I thought as it was a new laptop with hardly any new input on. I now find I do not have any library files. When I click documents, pictures, music etc error message is "files not working". Can I in some way restore these files? and is there anything else which may have failed which I have not yet found out? Do I need to get Windows 8 reinstalled? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

can you try sfc /scannow in command prompt.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure about this one as I have not tried it.

PC Settings.General.Refresh your settings.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Many thanks Jock1e, as I had bought the laptop from John Lewis it occured to me that besides the 2 year warranty I also got a 90 day software support. So gave them a ring and a nice man called Dave told me how to reset to factory settings, as it was only a couple of days old and I had not loaded much on it (hold down shift key + press restart), worked fine. He also advised that once I had more data on the laptop a less drastic soloution would be a "refresh" to undo the last moves (PC settings-general-refresh), which was what you suggested in your second post. Now all set up and running fine, many thanks again.

Like this post

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just be aware that if you 'refresh' the PC you will lose all your installed programs except the apps that came with the PC.

"Warning • All of your personal files will be deleted and your settings will be reset. Any apps the came with your PC will be reinstalled, but all other apps will be removed."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses