We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade from Win7 to Win8 and revert back to Win7 problems if any

compumac

Likes # 0

I am considering upgrading my 18 month old Samsung RC710 Windows 7 laptop with 4 GB memory to Windows 8. The laptop has Acronis True image installed with regular images being created. I have created a fresh Acronis image of ‘C’ as well as a Windows 7 image and also created a Repair Windows 64bit DVD. Both in the event of failed Win8 installation or a desire to revert back to Windows 7. I welcome any thoughts on my reasoning?

My understanding that the current £24.99 offer of upgrade to Windows 8 does not include the ability for a DVD function or am I not reading this correctly? Also what are the implications of this?

What are the possible pitfalls in the upgrade as I wish to be prepared?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As far as I can make out you can download it to a DVD or save it in your computer before running it.

No doubt someone will be able to give you the proper information.

I can't remember if I was offered the choice or not.

2 ways of downloading it.Download it with your files and folders or a straight download taking nothing with you.

I did it the 1st way and had to reinstall it using 2nd method so something to think about.I had problems with taking the files and folders with me.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Jock1e.

Had seen your posts and was one of the reasons for my posting this.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I had to make sure Paragon 12 was compatible with 8 first. Created an image of 7 on another drive. Went through the buying system and installed Windows 8 directly. As Jock1e, I had problems transferring files and apps. Didn't know at the time it was Avast that was the problem so using the image went back to 7.

In the receipt email you get from Microsoft you get your key and also a link to start the process again. This time I selected to Install by creating media. (Should have done it first but just trying to save a bit of time then). I burnt the iso file and installed Win 8 again using the disc. This time not carrying over anything. Still on it.

"Thanks for your order!

This is your receipt - make sure to print or save a copy for your records. If you need to download Windows, write down your new product key and enter it here." From the email and 'here' is the link.

It also downloads the bit version of your PC automatically.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave.

Did you not use the Windows 8 Upgrade assistant before installation to determine incompatible apps?

When I ran the assistant it indicated that the only problems would be:- 1 Install an app tp play DVD's.

2 Sidebar gadgets are not supported.

3 Secure Boot is not compatible with your PC.

Plus a couple of other items that I am not too bothered about at this stage. .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I did run the assistant but it found no problems with Avast. No sidebar gadgets and I use VLC or the free windows media player for DVDs.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13.

I did assume that you probably had run the assistant and was therefore surprised when you indicated that there had been a problem with Avast. I have NIS 2013 and also Emsisoft Antimalware (paid for version) and it shows both of these as being OK.

It does make you wonder as to the accuracy of the assistant. Could it be that you are lured into a false sense of security after running the assistant, pay your money and suffer the consequences afterwards.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't think so even if Microsoft gave the go-ahead for Avast. They found bugs that caused blue screens but Avast are patching them. I reinstalled Avast after a few updates but then my browsers would stop working after a time. So I'm running with Defender and Malwarebytes pro and a few other freebies.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13.

Are you still having problems with your browsers?

How long ago did you install Win8?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Browsers working fine since I removed Avast. I reinstalled from an image today as a matter of fact. Tried the free Kaspesky security suit 2013 you get from Barclays. That was a disaster for my set-up. Opening to a black desktop, bypassing the start screen, it also made IE10 quirky. Used their removal tool in safe mode but had to run the tool in normal mode to get Internet Explorer to run correctly. As I do play around a bit I just restore from an image I usually create before I try such programs. But that's just me playing with the OS.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13.

But at the end of the day was the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 worth it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded