We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sont VAIO laptop on Windows 8 can't change brightness

drperry

Likes # 0

I have a Sony VAIO VPCS11X9E and my screen brightness is at the lowest setting for some reason. Also, my FN keys for the brightness setting won't work. Any means of changing the brightness does not work, this does include the brightness bar when you go into settings.

I have tried so many driver installs, checked for any missing drivers or out of date drivers, but the only one that seems out of date is my Intel HD graphics which I HAVE updated, yet the Intel driver update checker says otherwise.

I have disabled AND enabled (just in case) the adaptive brightness, but it does NOT work.

I did have Windows 7 Ultimate running on before but decided to upgrade to Windows 8. Windows 7 never had any issues with brightness. Also when I load up, even thought I have replaced Windows 7 with Windows 8, it still loads up the dual boot screen asking me which OS I want to boot with. Booting with Windows 7 will blackout a few times then it will take me to the VAIO repair system. Windows 8 obviously takes me to Windows 8.

When the laptop boots up, the large letters or 'VAIO' are bright and normal and sometimes, but not always, when it gets to the dual boot screen, the brightness is normal. However, when this does happen, as soon as I move the mouse or click a button, the brightness immediately goes back down to very dim.

When it loads up into any other system or boot program the brightness is fine. For example when I go into Sony VAIO's recovery center, the brightness is ok. Also, if I boot into something like miniXP or a separate OS on a bootable disk or USB, the brightness is fine as well.

I have tried many driver fixes, but NONE of them work!! I have tried booting up into safe mode and trying to manually install certain drivers because that apparently works, but it does not make any difference at all.

If you could help me , even if it doesn't work, I would greatly appreciate it!! Many thanks.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Have you tried changing the brightness in the power options in the control panel? As well as length of time before the display dims there are sliders for the brightness.

According to the info on this page

the brightness can't be adjusted using the setting on the charms bar. The link above also includes a list of supported models that Sony provides windows 8 compatible drivers, utilities etc for.

I have had a few issues since upgrading my Samsung laptop with AMD graphics from windows 7 to windows 8. For the Fn keys to adjust the brightness I needed to install 'settings' software from Samsung so you might need to download the equivalent software from Sony.

Like this post
drperry

Likes # 0

No, this did not work.

I'm looking at this FAQ you have provided from Sony and my model (VPCS11X9E) is not supported. I also cannot find where I can buy/download this, could you perhaps provide a link please?

Thanks.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

As I don't have a Sony laptop my help is somewhat limited. I see that Sony have a community forum for technical help here

I don't know whether Sony also have email support which could address your problem. There's a link for Vaio computing on this page click here

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

I have now found a link for the Sony upgrade kit here

but it may only be for certain models and it doesn't say how much it costs.

Like this post
drperry

Likes # 0

My laptop isn't supported. Is there nothing else I can do?

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

I just did a google search and it looks like other people have the same problem. someone on this forum click here used a program called Desktop Lighter to adjust the brightness

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Desktop Lighter is free and can be downloaded here

Like this post
drperry

Likes # 0

This doesn't really help me too much. Although surprisingly it DOES work, it doesn't work to the extent I was hoping my it would. It simply just increases the gamma and colour variations in the screen, which can also be changed in the Intel Graphics Control Centre that's for some reason permanently stuck on my laptop. It doesn't actually change the 'brightness'.

When I load up into the dual boot screen where I can select my OS, before I click any buttons or do anything, the brightness is at it's brightest, but when I click or hit enter or any other button, the brightness drops. Does this not give any indication to something or someone? Does nobody have a link to any drivers I can get to resolve this? The brightness is clearly working, it's just not staying on!

The screen lighter will have to do for now, until I can actually get this fixed. It is a little bit annoying to have everything so bright colour wise.

Like this post
drperry

Likes # 0

/bump/

Like this post
toho

Likes # 0

hi,

in Vaio Control Center>Image Quality, have you tried disabling 'Display Brightness'. it adjusts the display brightness according to the ambient brightness and may be what is messing with your display settings?

t

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features