We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I've got some doubts on using Windows 8

ana_14

Likes # 0

Hello!. Well, first of all, I'm not a native english speaker so if there are any mistakes on the text...I'm sorry :)

And now...I'd like to get your help. I've recived a new computer and it already has Windows 8. Until now, I'm satisfied with it, but I still have some doubts on using it.

1) As a portuguese, I'm a great fan of soccer and I got really happy when I saw that this new Windows has a Sports Application. However, when I checked it out, I've noticed that it doesn't have the portuguese soccer league and therefore, it doesn't have any portugueses teams to add to your "favourites". I would like you to tell me if there is any possibility of adding the portuguese league (Liga Portuguesa or Liga Zon Sagres) and the portuguese teams, because I can't find it on the application.

2) I'd also like to know if is there any need of being logged into your hotmail account to enter on your computer. Because, for being logged in, logically, I'll be online and my friends will talk to me. In fact, sometimes I'm not in the mood of chating to anyone, because I'm working or something, and I would like to know if, at least, I can change my status to offline.

By now, that's all...I know it's a bit long, but I'd like you to answer to me!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

To use all the apps you need to be logged in with a windows account. The way I work off-line is to create the Ethernet adaptor icon on the desktop so it's convenient to disable. Easier that physically removing the Ethernet cable. You can also create a short cut for your wlan card and disable it. If a laptop simply switch off wlan.

Right click the Network internet access icon in the notification area, select Open Network and Sharing Center, Select Change adapter Settings on the left side, right click the adapter and select Create Shortcut, Windows will kindly tell you it can't create it here but would you like it on the desktop. Select yes. Close the pane. On the desktop right click the icon and select open file location, right click the icon in the pane that opens and select disable. Close the pane. Reverse to enable. For some reason Win 8 does not work the same as Win 7 where you can do this correctly on the desktop icon.

As for an app for your country's footy teams/ leagues, check out Google.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you still need to be online then, charms bar, settings, notifications and select hide for 1,3 or 8 hours. They'll see your PC's online but you won't get any distracting notifications. Much easier.

Nothing on this App?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forget that last app. Sorry. See Google in your country.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded