We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 £14.99 upgrade won't install

jamie.long951
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 8 Pro on a laptop running 7. As the laptop was recently bought it was eligible for a upgrade for £14.99. I have gone through the compatibility checker and paid for the upgrade. Have got the email from Microsoft along with download link and product code/number.

I have completed the download through the Win8 installer, and I now have options to 'install now' 'install by creating media' or 'install from desktop later'. Whenever I do install now - it 'failed to utilise startup folder' then 'can't find install.exe'

I have also tried burning the ISO image to a DVD and running the installer from the disc - I don't get the 'cant find install.exe' but it still fails to utilise startup folder and then closes.

I have read numerous other posts online with the same problem. I have unistalled my anti virus, and disabled windows firewall - but yet the problem remains, help please!

Cheers

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not got a clue but are you installing the same 32Bit or 64bit.It has to be the same as what you already use.

have you tried the clean install without taking files and folders with you.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Have you tried Microsoft support? https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB/Home/ContactCustomerSupport

It looks like the £14.99 upgrade comes with 90 days support. From the FAQ page " Windows 8 comes with 90 days of no-charge support from Microsoft. The 90-day period begins when Windows 8 installation and activation is complete. Note: telecom or other access fees may apply.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Yes using the same version as my system, the upgrade assistant should sort that. I Have tried clean install also, that was my first option. I have also tried Microsoft support, and telephone support - they were about as much use as a chocolate kettle! There is only 1 hard-drive on this laptop.

The frustrating thing is that the upgrade assistant said the upgrade was compatible, so it lead me to believe it didn't download properly - I've re-done it a bunch of times and still no luck. It just won't work & I hate being ripped off.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Just to check - have you tried booting the computer from the DVD and not running the installation from within Windows?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Change your user name from your email address you are just inviting a lot of spam.

Like this post
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Chronos - thanks I don't know how that happened!!

Marg7 - I have burnt the ISO file to a DVD. I have tried to install from the DVD whilst the computer is logged on (from the desktop). How do I boot a DVD from OUTSIDE of windows? Would the DVD I have already created work for this method?

Really appreciate any help and further info you can give me :)

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 1

I haven't yet got my windows 8 upgrade, so haven't tested it yet myself but I think you should be able to boot from the DVD (you need to have burnt it as an ISO) to do a clean install.

Put the DVD in the drive and restart windows. You should get a message to press any key to boot from CD. Do that and the installer should start. Once it starts installing it will subsequently restart at different times during the installation, but don't press the keyboard again or it will revert to the start of the installation.

A couple of info links about downloading and doing a clean install of windows 8

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.htm

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/ss/windows-8-clean-install-part-1.htm

Like this post  
jamie.long951

Likes # 0

Many thanks Marg7 - that's done it! Big thumbs up from me!

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

p.s. one bit I wrote may not be clear "don't press the keyboard again or it will revert to the start of the installation."

I should have said: don't press the keyboard when that message appears again or it will revert to the start of the installation.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

Brilliant - really glad it's sorted :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer