We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ages to get to start page

clackyjock33

Likes # 0

from the time i put in my password its taking about 8 mins for W8 to reach the start page,this must not be right

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No it's not right. Have you used an upgrade and selected to carry over all your programs, etc. ?

Try this, once on the start page go to right corner (I use a mouse cursor) and select search. Using the bar at the bottom scroll to right. Right click the command prompt app and in the bottom, select 'run as administrator'. Type sfc/scannow in the command prompt window and let it run. It will fix some problems possibly. Close the command prompt window by typing 'exit'.

Reboot and see if any better. If not, repeat the process a few times. If it still doesn't work then in my humble opinion you will need to reinstall without carrying over anything, after you back-up all your documents, photos etc. Your programs will need to be reinstalled.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you are the only one using the computer get rid of the sign in at start up and that will save you a couple of minutes probably.

The next time you boot up go into device manager and see if any yellow exclamation marks on it as it could be searching for driver updates.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I would tend to agree with rdave13 if you took your files and folders with you a reinstall might be your best idea.

I had to do that because of problems I had doing it your way.At a rough guess it takes about 30 seconds for it to start now without having to sign in.If you still want to sign in it will take a little longer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features