We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 and Outlook 2003

QuizMan

Likes # 0

I have run the W8 compatibility checker and everything is fine except, rather surprisingly. MS Outlook 2003. Outlook 2003 is one of those programs that I have used and come to rely on over the years and Outlook is not part of the MS Office 2007 suite that I also use.

I cannot really justify paying for a newer version of Outlook, but can anybody confirm that is does not work with W8? Otherwise, any recommendations for an alternative that will accept OST & PST files?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Microsoft Outlook is the one that they are pushing just no.So maybe try that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Jock1e - thank you, but I think you are referring to Outlook.com which is a web-based "upgrade" of MSN & Hotmail. Outlook 2003 is an integrated e-mail, diary and contacts management program.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Ok.You are correct.Sorry.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Outlook is not part of the MS Office 2007 suite that I also use."

In which case you must be using the student version. Outlook is included in all the other versions, although the business contact management facility missing from it in the Standard version.

I can confirm that none of the MS Office 2003 programmes will work in Windows 8.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

FE - thank you. "In which case you must be using the student version"

It is the Home & Student version as I consider myself rather long in the tooth for a student :-) Are you able to confirm if MS Office 2003 to which you refer includes Outlook as, if so, I find it odd if that is OK, but the stand-alone Outlook 2003 is not.

Like this post
renard

Likes # 0

Forum Editor says above: "I can confirm that none of the MS Office 2003 programmes will work in Windows 8."

However, I have found many posts on the internet which say that Office 2003 is definitely compatible with Windows 8.

Also many people saying they have upgraded to 8 and are happily running Office 2003 on it.

There is much confusion here. Even Microsoft contradict themselves - on the one hand they say it is not compatible, but elsewhere they say that it is!!

Like this post
ChrisMia

Likes # 0

I bought 4 new HP sleekbooks running WIN 8. I installed the office 2003 solution which I have been using successfully for many years. Now the frustrating experience in the WIN 8 environment: outlook runs unstable which is a major problem when you depend on your email reliability for work. The most common issue I've experienced on this installations is that outlook will suddenly not download emails. It connects to the server and hangs in there after a couple of 100kb. We have also had problems in configuring the email signatures. Outlook will simply not retain the formatting. Also: in WIN 8 a ppt presentation will not be automatically opened with powerpoint 2003, and I have not found yet a way to create this link. I have to first save the presentation somewhere in my files and then open it through powerpoint. Also, the system will crash when you copy and paste between for example internet explorer and word or excel. All this will at times not happen. I did not find any literature the could lead to the cause other then Office 2003 and WIN8 are not compatible :-(

Like this post
gippingman

Likes # 0

I have Windows 8 and MS Office (student & teacher) 2003 - I continue to use my old/existing email addresses by setting up the email server info up manually via Outlook 2003 and can send & receive emails (although I have a separate unrelated issue!) ok and other office 2003 applications also work fine

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination