We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 8 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows upgrade

ArthurJB

Likes # 0

I am considering upgrading to windows 8 by downloading the update from microsofts website, cost £25 a good deal. My question is, my C: drive is an SSD drive with only 11gb available from 74gb, is this enough space? I seem to remember from a post somewhere that I would require 22gb. I am considering an upgrade retaining all my files.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Have a good read of the latest posting on this by FE. To me it reads that this is not as good value as it at first seems

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to the Windows 8 Help forum from Windows 7 Help.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You'll need 16Gb of drive space for the 32bit version and 20Gb for the 64bit version.

Like this post
ArthurJB

Likes # 0

As I intend to upgrade not a clean install do I need the full 20Gb? As the new system will install over the old system. I have a large D: drive as well.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It is a 2Gb download, if taking files and folders with you obviously a lot more.

I tried taking my files and folders with me and I could not get it to work properly so I had to reinstall it without the files and folders.

Maybe I was just unlucky I don't know.

Like this post
ArthurJB

Likes # 0

The real question I was trying to get answered was as I only have 11Gb spare when I start to upgrade will I require an additional 20Gb, or as the upgrade progresses will the old system be overwritten and I end up not requiring so much. Thank you

AJB

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

When only using a very small SSD it is wise to just keep it for your OS and programs.Everything else should go on a separate HDD. The prices of 128GB SSD's are very low so if I were you I would either move everything off your current SSD except programs and OS or move to a bigger SSD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer