We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Home group setting up

Daiol
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi.Having an issue with home group,Desktop and a laptop both running windows 7 home premium. Been trying for a couple of days to get this up and running as it should.I got the desktop up in my little office upstairs connected with ethernet, and the laptop down stairs running off wifi. Have tried all info given on google and microsoft web sites checked all boxes in creation have followed microsoft instructions to the tee. Now the problem is after connecting both to the home group the laptop will see the desktop okay,But the desktop pc will not recognise the laptop. Have changed passwords etc have come to a dead end total failure. Why wont the Desktop see the Laptop?? Any help here Please. Dai's fed up. Many Thanks in advance.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

jaywoo.Thanks for that link. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and double checked all my settings but without laptop showing in home group. Microsoft said it was easy to setup,Who ever said that he can come my way and show me the simple method,I cant find a solution as yet. Many thanks,maybe others will pop in with some thoughts. Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

May be obvious but have they both got the same Home Group password?

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

[May be obvious but have they both got the same Home Group password]

Hi many thanks for the input,Yes they did have the same password. Over the last few hours I've had it to work okay,Don't ask me what I did I don't know.Just rechecked and rechecked over the same method resetting the check boxes and resetting the passwords on both pc's. Well its working.Mystery if it goes wrong again I just don't know where to start. Many thanks to the both of you for your very kind thoughts on the matter,I wish I could tell you the solution. Thanks once again.Dai.

Like this post
Daiol

Likes # 0

Hi.I'm back with something simple I hope.When I open home group up on my desktop and see the laptop I get two icons. Should I have the icon that is checked in the image enclosed?? Thanks in advance ''Sorry to get back to you'' [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Rf77lnA.jpg[/IMG]

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Good to hear that things are now okay for you. I can't comment on the Icon - my Home Group page doesn't look like that but then I don't have a Home Group set up.

Like this post  
MikeS1956

Likes # 0

Hi. I don't use Homegroups as I network XP & Win7 PC.s but I had a similar problem when I had McAfee security suite installed. Removed it & used free security software & no problems since.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features