We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solutions for possible GPU/Monitor problem?

caladeus

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have a desktop PC with the following:

4.00 GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz 64-bit Win7 Acer v193wv monitor

I have the latest drivers, I have the sides of the PC removed and I have just cleaned the whole thing a few days ago.

Usual temperatures on normal even when games are running.

I regularly use registry cleaner, namely Advanced System Care Pro 6 and CCCleaner, as well ESET NOD32 6 as well

the problem:

Sometimes the monitor goes blank, I can still hear the sounds for around 5-7 seconds, then goes silent, the fans and power are up, and I have to reboot the PC because it reacts to nothing else. When on Skype, the other half can hear me until everything goes silent.

Sometimes after this happens, I have to restart the PC several times as for some reason the monitor does not connect to the PC, it displays an error message "cable not connected". However, when I connect the monitor to the default PC input after that error message, the display works but not if I plug it into the graphics card.

When it happens, I check the temperature of everything and it does not seem to be the problem.

Suggestions? Thank you a lot

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Possible hardware failure(s), could be graphics card or in the worst case mother board. But I'm not the best person to reply about this. You need the hardware experts.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sounds like a faulty graphics card. Try and remove it and reseating it. It would be useful to know the exact model of the GPU rather than just the series, IE: 5700.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Before you go buying all sorts of new kit, try re-seating the Graphics Card

Like this post
caladeus

Likes # 0

Additional details:

ATI Radeon 5750 HD Total available graphics memory 2495 MB Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 1471 MB Display adapter driver version 12.104.0.0 Primary monitor resolution 1440x900 DirectX version DirectX 10

2x Super Talent T800UX4GV5 2GB DDR2-SDRAM RAM, http://www.eio.com/p-22845-super-talent-t800ux4gv5-ddr2-800-4gb-2x2gb-cl6-dual-channel-memory-kit.aspx

Brand & Model of the PSU PSU: Asus Green ROHS 400W (Model: EXDA40RC0)

Brand & Model of the Mobo ASUS P5GC-MX/1333

I am looking for a rather temporary solution as my PC is a fairly old IDE PC and I want to build a new one but wont be able to afford it sooner than half a year or so

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer