We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Windows 7 Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Copying video to usb memory stick problems

mart7
Resolved

Likes # 0

system-windows 7 64bit ultimate,Intel i3,8gb ram,1tb hd

Ive purchased a 64gb toshiba memory stick usb2.0 The speed the files are written to the memory stick varies from 3mb\sec to 25mb\ sec I use it to watch video in the usb slot on my lg bluray player Problem is some of the video files do not copy,they appear to have but they havent,this happens if the write speed is 25mb\sec at 3mb\sec works fine why is this? doesnt matter the file type or indeed the size

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

you could try this solution posted by 'ArcAiN6' on answers.microsoft.com plug your memory stick in, then:

"In Device Manager, right-click the USB drive in Disk drives folder, then select Properties, switch to Policies tab, and choose Optimize for performance. Click OK to keep it."

"NOTE: If you use this method, make SURE you use the sub removal tool that pops up in your system tray when you first plugged in the device (system tray is the little area near your clock on the task bar)"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Actually re-reading that, it might be easier/better(?) to do it via windows explorer by rightclicking on the usb memory stick | Properties | and then the Policies tab.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Thanks ive already done this few weeks ago to no effect I arent really bothered how fast the memory stick writes if it copies the video in its entirety but it doesnt,i get the message in vlc "broken avi index" Today ive copied 6 files same format same size at 3mb\sec the seventh one sped up to 25mb\sec and the result is an unplayable video,even though clicking on properties gives the correct size for the file its not copied across fully

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe the memory stick has got 'bad patches' or something - I'm just guessing now, sorry.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

dunno got completely stuck with this problem Ive formatted it several times using "part man" it refuses to format to ntfs only fat 32

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well here's the specs and it's got a 5 year warranty so I suggest you get it replaced under warranty.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ooops, maybe you got one of these fakes you better read the reviews at bottom.

Like this post
mentok1

Likes # 0

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

lotvic thanks the reviews on amazon are fairly accurate to the problems im having,the memory stick has been replaced 2x still same crap Ive heard about lot of fake memory sticks that say they have 64gb capacity but only have 8gb I used this utility it reported 62.5gb http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/h2testw-14-gold-standard-in-detecting-usb-counterfeit-drives/ think ill forget it its too unreliable,i do have a 64gb unknown make one which performs excellent and an 8gb sandisk which also is faultless

thanks for your help

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

mentok thanks thats a useful utility it found a few sectors that couldnt be written to on the usb stick

cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded